ball combos

Darkhorse

What did you just ask?

earlthegoat2

I am assuming something like buck and ball type shot. What size combinations folks use.

Typically these are used in larger caliber smoothbores such as 62-75 or into the 10-8 bores.

Such as a 62 cal may use a 58 cal ball in front of 2-5 32 cal balls.

It is basically like buckshot with a larger projectile thrown in.

GeorgiaBob

Common, the load behind a lead ball is very dependent on the rifle. The answer you want can likely be found only at a range. I suggest that you start with a 30 grain load behind a .48 cal ball at 100 yards, then move up by about 5 grains at a time every few shots. Your rifle might need a hot load to be accurate, or may favor lower power. You can also play around with the ball (perhaps .46) and the wad. I think my favorite flintlock is much more accurate with a cotton "bedsheet" patch behind a .48 ball.

If you are considering bullets instead of ball, do the same but expect a lower powder charge to be more accurate.

When you are good to go at 100 yards, do it all over again at 50 yards. Some rifles are really picky about distance, and you need to know where that bullet or ball is going to be at both ranges.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
i was asking about a single ball and grains of load for deer in a 45-50 cal. sorry I wasn't specific
I'd recommend starting at 50 grains of 2f or 3f for 50 caliber and then gradually increasing grains of powder so long as it's safe for your rifle and continues to be accurate. You can get an idea of the ballistics for ball loads from here about a 1/4 way down the page.
http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I use 75 grains of 2f with a .530 round ball with a .015 pillow ticking and a mink oil on patch.

Darkhorse

I don't have one powder ball combo for my rifles, I usually have several. I stopped chasing those maximum loads years ago because they usually were not neccessary.
In my .54 with a Colrain barrel I seldom shoot over 85 grains of 3f. 60 grains of 3fg is it's accuracy load and it can shoot one hole groups repeatably. I have shot deer and gotten complete pass thru's with 70 and 75 grain loads of 3fg. I try and keep my shots under 50 yards if possible so I don't need a heavier load. For several years now my deer load has been 70 grains of 3fg patched with .018 pillow ticking.
The 40 is my turkey rifle. I hunt turkeys with 60 grains 3fg and .018 pillow ticking patch. It has a Rice .40 caliber swamped barrel and it's a little touchier about they powder charge. With 30 to 40 grains of 3fg it will take a squirrels head off everyshot if I do my part. At 50 grains the group opens up but at 60 grains it shoots into an inch or less at 50 yards. So that is my turkey load.
Every new rifle I build gets the same treatment. Hundreds of rounds off the bench testing ball and patch combo's and lubes until I know exactly how the gun shoots with a variety of loads. These are the type results I'm looking for

CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg

SS850061.jpg

SS850122.jpg