Banning MALE decoys would save more toms than any one of the survey options - Fact or Fiction?

Banning MALE decoys would save more toms than any one of the survey options - Fact or Fiction?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

White0ak

Banned
Yes, I know there's a parallel thread on the "dnr survey", I am just tired of seeing zero mention of banning MALE decoys.

If you are an advocate for slowing hunter success rate in order to save male turkeys, which is what every single option in that survey does, why not consider banning decoys that typically require little to no woodsmanship other than "getting him to see it"?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dupree

Banning male decoys would save more “dominant” gobblers early season than any proposed regs, (except for delaying season all together). The ones who are against doing that rely on them to get a kill.

MesquiteHeat

I can tell you several board members were discussing just that to the point I was surprised not to see that as a proposal. But once they talked to their handicapped friends it might have changed

Dupree

I can tell you several board members were discussing just that to the point I was surprised not to see that as a proposal. But once they talked to their handicapped friends it might have changed
I brought it up at the public meeting I attended and have encouraged everyone I know to email the same thing, although I doubt it would happen.

White0ak

Banned
That is awesome to hear - My lurking assumption has always been that the big box decoy brands + the certain whine/blowback from decoy dependent hunters has kept the banning of decoys on the back burner.....

I'm all for handicapped hunters or even kids using them - I just look at these surveys and think wow, if we just went back to less innovation aka less manufactured hunter aids for hunter success, we would save more mature/boss toms than any of these other neutering options. I mean radio controlled tom decoys are legal for God sakes...

Only 6% of hunters kill their limit, most average hunters dont hunt the humid/hot end of the season, etc. Again, my point is the contrast to the survey - How many mature toms get killed over male decoys?

Btw I had covid or I would have attended the meetings in person. I hope others are bringing up the idea of banning decoys elsewhere.

Survey could have read "banning of all male decoys except for youth and handicapped hunters" etc.

Heck just ban em on cedar creek and pilot test it there. Apparently per the other thread, biologists saw no real change by postponing the season.

Last edited:

MesquiteHeat

I was using the term handicapped referring to those that need the help, not truly handicapped individuals. The ones that need the crutch of a male decoy. Too many people consider decoys essential to their hunt. When a SC hunter explained to me years ago how fanning worked I thought if that ever makes it on video......

As far as gobbler/jake decoys, yes they are effective but I stopped using Jake decoys 10 years ago when some knucklehead shot my (Non-bearded) Jake decoy from 50 yards away with a single shot 10 gauge and almost blinded me for life...and this was on private land....

So, I put fiction because I have killed a PILE of gobblers with no decoys out at all.

cowhornedspike

Banning all use of decoys would cause a major reduction in hunter kills of turkeys because many (maybe most) of the turkey "hunters" would just quit and move on to other hobbies once they actually had to get out and hunt to kill one.
The other factors would still be there though, but it would be a good start IMO.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think all of y’all should be the only ones allowed to hunt turkeys ?
Y’all the only ones that know how.
Scratch feed is illegal and I see it and other bird feeds at feed stores during this time. who is buying it. Go to a hardware store and watch. corn sells deer season then scratch durning turkey. Sogrum during bird season.
I think the most damage is done by the hunters that call real good and shoot over their limits by a lot. They are turkey holics, all y’all know one. Maybe one yourself.
The decoy guys are mostly part time hunters and getting into it watching that hunting channel. Some get one. A lot more don’t. most turkey hunter don’t kill a bird. Over half killed are by 1/4 the hunters. The run and gun. The veterans!
The one who hunts every morning.
That’s why the WMA rule
May help. If you kill one u can hunt a wma for so many days. Then u go back to that have to report it thing. Most turkeyholics would just forgo reporting to keep hunting. Now that part timer with the decoy that kills one. He’s happy and wants to show everyone and reports it. He doesn’t hunt as required. But gets labeled the bad turkey hunter.
Y’all have a good day & enjoy the out doors. Be safe.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ban all decoys,no blinds and you have to call your own turkeys and no muzzle loaders unless it is shot instead of single projectile
And hear I was looking for someone to call one for me. and that poor hunter who gets enjoyment killing one with his muzzle loader can’t now. how bout the primitive hunter who makes his own arrows with turkey fetching. Hand made hickory bow and a home made turkey wing bone call. is he ok !
He wants us all to hunt like him. ?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We need more hens, more poults, and more poult recruitment. What does any of that have to do with decoys?
This year I had more hens. More poults and more up coming turkeys. pretty soon I’ll have more then turkey hunting friend that want to join me. ?
Habitat Habitat Habitat!

Buckman18

Heck just ban em on cedar creek and pilot test it there. Apparently per the other thread, biologists saw no real change by postponing the season.

This.

My prediction is this new fad theory about the turkeys getting shot before they breed will be proven invalid eventually.

In the mountains, we have tens of thousands of acres of designated 'wilderness' that never see a turkey hunter, and, thus, the turkey populations are not impacted by hunters efforts. Still fewer turkeys today than 20 years ago. Hunters are not the problem.

Habitat and Predator Control are your tickets to more turkeys.

20210119_082702.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.