Battering and frying catfish... your method?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Ol May used to fry fish enuf and well enuf that I never thought I'd have it as good again.

So far my thinking was right. Man I don't miss a whole lotta folks that have left this earth, but I miss Ol May and I miss Woody.

Also I wish I could fry stuff, but for some reason I absolutely suck at frying food.

Ok sorry for the downer. Back to the thread
Low.. slow...when it floats it's done. Frying 101 Bro. If in a pan with fat.. ANY thing over 160deg. is over done.... BECAUSE .. if it's done in the pan.. it's over done on the plate.

jrickman

I like to cook catfish in wet batter made from 1.5 cups of flour, 1.5 cups of cornmeal, a big heaping tablespoon of Lawry's seasoning salt, and a can of coke. Here's where it gets odd. I deep fry them in extra virgin olive oil. It does not transfer any flavor at all, and you can get it up above 375 unlike what you might have heard.

MOTS

White Lily cornmeal MIX works great, combo of fine meal and flour, not grainy at all. I paper towel dry all fish before battering, salt and a little pepper is all I use.

slow motion

Don't want to have to deal with bones so I always filet and skin my fish. Wet mix of egg, buttermilk, and Autry's mix. And if I have some I'll chop up some fresh red Tabasco peppers or cayenne peppers and add them to the mix. I currently have plenty of peppers just don't have any dang fish. Had some sea trout but the bag had busted open and they got freezer burn. Tried to cook them anyway last week but they were nasty. And since I'm such a lousy fisherman who knows when I'll catch more. Maybe one day @1eyefishing will take pity on me and teach me how to fish.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Don't want to have to deal with bones so I always filet and skin my fish. Wet mix of egg, buttermilk, and Autry's mix. And if I have some I'll chop up some fresh red Tabasco peppers or cayenne peppers and add them to the mix. I currently have plenty of peppers just don't have any dang fish. Had some sea trout but the bag had busted open and they got freezer burn. Tried to cook them anyway last week but they were nasty. And since I'm such a lousy fisherman who knows when I'll catch more. Maybe one day @1eyefishing will take pity on me and teach me how to fish.
I pulled my fish camp out of St Marks in June. New owner was trying to hit me up for $200 a month more in boat storage fee in order for me to leave my boat on my trailer down there in my driveway at the RV. I had left it off and on there for 3 years and the other owner never said a word. Towing back-and-forth every couple weeks was a real pain. Wanted to spend as much time down there as at home, and Not dragging the boat was a big plus. On the bright side, I'm now more mobile and ready to do some guys trips to different locations… Might even show backup at shell island one day...

slow motion

Not necessarily catfish related but just thinking it's probably important that you share how you prepare your fish with any guest you have in order to avoid a mishap. Isn't that right @notnksnemor and @1eyefishing ?

Arrow3

I still haven't tried the wet batter...

Havana Dude

3/4 cornmeal, 1/4 flour, salt, pepper, in a paper grocery sack. Drop in hot oil. Couple minutes, out to drain. Hush puppies, cheese grits and some cut up onion. A tall glass of sweet tea, or an ice cold beer to wash it down, either works for me.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I've never done wet batter. I've dredged in whipped egg but then tossed in a dry mix.