Be Careful it is very dry! Wildfire today!

marknga

GONetwork Member
We had a work day today at our Putnam County lease, some bushoggin, plowin and seeding planned. What wasn't planned was the Putnam County Fire Department &The Ga Forestry Commission being there to help us out!
We aren't sure what started it, but we drove across our powerline( dirt/gravel road) I was in my truck, Philip was on the tractor, his wife Renee was in a Gator and Jeff was on his four wheeler. We all drove across the power line and went out that gate and then went about a 3/4 mile down and went back in to the poweline where the truck/trailer and harrow was. When we got there I looked east up the powerline and smoke was blowing....couldn't tell how far away at first the smoke was......Jeff went to check it out and by the time he got there the flames were very visible(within 3-5 minutes) to me 3/4 a mile away. I called 911 and gave directions, Jeff radioed me and was like "We need to get some help this is bad". Hats off to the Putnam County Fire Department and their Volunteers! :clap:
Within about 5 minutes I heard sirens coming. Other club members had shown up and we were all trying to beat down the fire with shirts, towels, pine tops, etc......The first 2 tankers pretty much helped us contain the fire to mainly the powerline; about 6 acres or so. Other tankers pulled in shortly along with the Ga Forestry Commission fire team...
NOW THIS THING IS IN CONTROL! After about 45 minutes the fire in out, still smoldering in spots but Ga Forestry Commission had the bulldozer there and he was cutting a fire break around the fire zone. Finally everybody left and we were assured that everything was ok..............NOT!
I didn't like the fact that there was still smoldering hot spots and decided to stick around and watch for flare ups;
Thank God I DID! I was using a shovel and smothering small flame ups when we had breeze come thru.......
I immediately heard the crackling and a small flame jumped the fire break on the north side of the powerline. I ran down the firebreak and the fire was about 10-15 yards wide in the pines, thick undergrowth. I started trying to smother it and quickly realized it was outta my control. I radio'd for help and within minutes(Seemed like forever to me!) they arrived and we were able to stop this blaze which by now was about 60-70 yards wide in an arc. We called the Ga Forestry Commission and they sent the bulldozer back out and this time he took care of ALL the Hot Spots! When he left I felt comfortable that it was safe!
What caused it? We don't know.......hot exhaust off my truck, the tractor or 4-wheeler? We didn't stop there we rode thru???? We don't smoke.......I don't know but I want to thank God that no one got hurt and that those beautiful woods are ok. Thanks to my hunting club partners and neighbors! Thanks to the Putnam County Fire Department and to the Ga Forestry Commission! Sorry for the long post but ya'll be very careful out in our beautiful outdoors......
It is dangerously dry.

Mark aka "Smoky"

Scout-N-Hunt

Glad to hear the happy ending ....... and Thank God for the FD!

marknga

GONetwork Member
Yeah we were real lucky. I hope no one else has to spend their Sunday afternoon beating back flames................
Ya'll be careful.

Nugefan

glad ya'll got thiungs under control , those fires can be scary ...

Wornout Trails

The Big Smokey Kahuna!!!

What a story, glad you stuck around for the second fire!!
You need to go back now and have your real hunting club workday! I saw your picture on the email, you can now add this experience to your resume!!!..... ::ke: ......W.T.

:flag:

gadeerwoman

Glad you got it under control before it got much worse. I was thinking the same thing this weekend when clover was crunching under my feet: prime fire time! We need some rain badly on the vegetation or I'm afraid there will be more incidients like this one. Glad you watched for those hot spots after the dozer left the first time.
Be careful out there with sparks folks.

GIGLM9

marknga,

How far east did the fire spread? I hunt a friends property that borders .33 Magnum club to the west and the Little River on the north and east. The powerline runs right through the property. Did it go that far down the power line?

Lthomas

On the bright side. It will be a good place to spread some seed in a few weeks if we get any rain.

marknga

GONetwork Member
It isn't that far down, more in the middle of the .44 Magnum Club and really it was contained to the powerline. The Forestry Commission folks estimated 6 acres and then after the 2nd flare up I figured it got about another acre.
And yes you are right! With some rain that powerline would be a great place to turn some dirt and drop some seeds!

Mark

Latest posts