Beach fishing...

Sargent

Thanks, fellas.

Leaving in the morning- bringing 2 rods and may pick up an additional Walmart cheapo.

I had some leftover PVC so I am good on that end. I'll get some frozen shrimp when I'm down there and some fish bites. I'll tie pompano rigs and I'll throw a couple of spoons if I get bored.

I have beach fished before, but never really had luck. Decided I didn't want to spend the money for an inshore guide, so this is going to be my adventure for the week.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks, fellas.

Leaving in the morning- bringing 2 rods and may pick up an additional Walmart cheapo.

I had some leftover PVC so I am good on that end. I'll get some frozen shrimp when I'm down there and some fish bites. I'll tie pompano rigs and I'll throw a couple of spoons if I get bored.

I have beach fished before, but never really had luck. Decided I didn't want to spend the money for an inshore guide, so this is going to be my adventure for the week.
Bass Pro has some combos that actually have GOOD 9 and 10 foot surf rods. Good meaning the rods are good. The reels are cheapos but they come on them. 59 $ each.

Saw them today and started to buy 2 b/c I got 2 good reels to put on them and I could give away the other reels or keep them for a backup.

The 2 that got my attention were actual 9 foot "Surf" rods and they had a cheapo 70, 700 or 7000 size spinning reel on them. Just the right size for surf fishing.

Joel

Frozen shrimp will be almost guaranteed fish....but of the whiskered variety. If you want to catch something better use FRESH, food grade shrimp, FishBites in sandflea or shrimp flavor or sandfleas.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t surf fish a whole lot but when I do I have the best luck fishing the troughs, using sand fleas.

bany

Take a chair and relax! Fresh shrimp is hard to beat. If the sand fleas are there so are they.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I greatly prefer squid or cut finger mullet to shrimp for surf fishing. They actually stay on the hook, and about everything will hit them really good, from whiting to redfish. It aggravates me trying to keep shrimp on the hook with all the little croakers and spots nibbling at it.

slow motion

Think it's already been said but look for the breaks in the bar. Waves push water over the bar. It washes channels in the bar where it flows back seaward. The water will be deeper there and more current. Try the edges as well as the channel. This is where the rip current will be so be careful about wading it. Good luck and keep us posted.

slow motion

We stayed at a fancy place once. Watched the fella putting out umbrellas. Had a t-shaped device. Push down while turning back and forth. It drills into the sand. Pulled it out and had a hole for the umbrella. I incorporated into my sand spikes by drilling a hole through each. I take a dowel rod and slide through the hole and drill into the sand. Remove the dowel and move on to the next one.

seachaser

The easiest way to put a pvc sand spike in the sand is to push it down in the wet sand and as a wave comes in have you lips inside the tube and suck and the pipe will slid into the sand like hot knife in butter do it a couple times and it will be plenty deep enough. Try it and you will thank me later because it’s that easy.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
The easiest way to put a pvc sand spike in the sand is to push it down in the wet sand and as a wave comes in have you lips inside the tube and suck and the pipe will slid into the sand like hot knife in butter do it a couple times and it will be plenty deep enough. Try it and you will thank me later because it’s that easy.
Good way to go viral on the innerwebs from a mischevious passer by.

:rofl:

bilgerat

Senior
I fished off Destin beach this morn and caught a few whiting and had a few dozen bites on cut up shrimp but never got a hook in them , not a great success but had A blast . I forgot my rod holders at the campground so could only fish 1 rod at a time IMG_5590.jpeg

slow motion

:rofl: I don't care how good that works I'm not doing it. Takes about 30 seconds my way. I'll stick with that.