Bear hide

florida boy

I have tanned several critter hide over the years but have a question for anyone who has tanned a bear hide . I spent about 3 hours fleshing and splitting the lips and ears . I salted it a few times and hung it out and drained it till it didn’t appear wet . I then froze it . I am just wanting to hang it on the wall at the Hunting Camp . Without sending it to a taxidermist is there any steps I can do myself to just get it to set up and not “ slip” ? I don’t care if it is stiff when done

ScarFoot

I have tanned several critter hide over the years but have a question for anyone who has tanned a bear hide . I spent about 3 hours fleshing and splitting the lips and ears . I salted it a few times and hung it out and drained it till it didn’t appear wet . I then froze it . I am just wanting to hang it on the wall at the Hunting Camp . Without sending it to a taxidermist is there any steps I can do myself to just get it to set up and not “ slip” ? I don’t care if it is stiff when done
Look up alum powder tanning it's more of a pickle, you will soak it in the alum solution let dry and apply a leather conditioning oil and be done for your purposes.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If I was just gonna hang the hide up as a display, All I would do is completely flesh the meat side of the hide very good. Take off all fat, meat, and hypodermis, then lash it in a frame till it`s totally dry.

No need to salt a hide for any reason. If you don`t have time to work with it, just fold it up. place in a trash bag, and freeze it.