Beaver castor

Doug B.

Have any of you used the castor from a beaver you caught to catch other beavers? Have you doctored it up before you used it? Have you noticed that store bought castor lures don't smell like regular beaver castor, yet beavers will come to it?

I'll have to admit, store bought beaver castor lure smells pretty dang good. Every time I open a bottle of it i have to sniff it. I about believe i could eat it on toast!

Anyhow, I had seen where Paul Dobbins had said something about somebody putting castors in wine and letting them soak a while. I put some i still had in some cheap red wine for about all summer. I got it out a couple of months ago and ground it up. Then i added a few drops of anise oil in it and then put glycerin until it was a consistency that i thought i would like. It really didn't smell that good but as time went on it actually smells better now. I caught a beaver with it yesterday as i wanted to try it out.

Any thoughts?

willie1971

Yes. And I have heard similar recipes, too. I bet it will work well for you.

We caught several last year and made tail oil over the summer, and diced up castor for lure like you mentioned. Also mixed some castor with beaver and deer meat trimmings as a bait with salt as a preservative.

Sounds like you have to gear and knowledge to be a good lure and bait maker. Let us know how it performs!

Doug B.

Yes. And I have heard similar recipes, too. I bet it will work well for you.

We caught several last year and made tail oil over the summer, and diced up castor for lure like you mentioned. Also mixed some castor with beaver and deer meat trimmings as a bait with salt as a preservative.

Sounds like you have to gear and knowledge to be a good lure and bait maker. Let us know how it performs!
I also made beaver tail oil from beavers I caught last year. I filled a gallon glass jar with cut up beaver tails. When it rendered down and I took the oil off the top there was less than half a jar left of what was once the chunked up beaver tails. I left that in in jar and already cut up more tails and filled the jar back up.

buckpasser

I use most of mine. I’m not saying this is the correct way, but it’s worked well for me. I remove them as intact as possible. Place in an open container in my bait fridge. Leave them open to start dehydrating. I leave them for anywhere from six weeks to six months. Next, I put them through the meat grinder. For beaver lure I just add a little glycerin. If using them for predators (especially bobcat) I mix accordingly with whatever I want. They smell similar to the bought lure once they’re dried down and ground pure.

2dye4

I use most of mine. I’m not saying this is the correct way, but it’s worked well for me. I remove them as intact as possible. Place in an open container in my bait fridge. Leave them open to start dehydrating. I leave them for anywhere from six weeks to six months. Next, I put them through the meat grinder. For beaver lure I just add a little glycerin. If using them for predators (especially bobcat) I mix accordingly with whatever I want. They smell similar to the bought lure once they’re dried down and ground pure.
Good info. Thanks for sharing. I’ve never really rendered any but have some in freezer. May try this.