Beaver Dam WMA???

I'm thinking about coming up and hunting at Beaver Dam WMA and have a couple of questions..I have never hunted WMA's in Ga so here we go..Will I need a quota hunt permit for this WMA, is it either sex during rifle season. Is there a decent amount of deer? Are there any other places you guys would recommend that are close by?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I'm thinking about coming up and hunting at Beaver Dam WMA and have a couple of questions..I have never hunted WMA's in Ga so here we go..Will I need a quota hunt permit for this WMA, is it either sex during rifle season. Is there a decent amount of deer? Are there any other places you guys would recommend that are close by?
It’s beautiful swamp land ! I killed my first racked buck there about 38 years ago . Grew up about 45 minutes from it and hunted it often . We always camped at the river campground and hunted close by . Killed a lot of game there over the years . Especially hogs during archery season . No on quota and this is the regs from last season , new ones haven’t came out yet . Good luck and don’t get lost IMG_3114.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t hunted there in 30+ years so I’m not gonna be much help. Used to be a decent number of pigs and deer.
The new regulations usually come out by late July.

Good luck !!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t hunted there in 30+ years so I’m not gonna be much help. Used to be a decent number of pigs and deer.
The new regulations usually come out by late July.

Good luck !!!

I will add that unless the road system has improved a 4wd is recommended.
It’s also a popular place for river access and fishing. The Oconee is a pretty big river there.

basstrkr

Beaver Dam WMA is about 15 miles north of Dublin. There is also Riverbend WMA about 5 miles east of Dublin. Riverbend has two sections to hunt. There are kid/adult quota hunts and I think Handicap hunts. You'll have to read the new regs to get the dates and allowable harvest. Both have a lots of river swamp to hunt. There used to be 2 sections of Beaver Dam as well but I'm not sure that's the case now.

antharper

Staff member
I will add that unless the road system has improved a 4wd is recommended.
It’s also a popular place for river access and fishing. The Oconee is a pretty big river there.
It’s better , sure use to love looking at the Indian artifacts before they covered them with gravel

antharper

Staff member
Beaver Dam WMA is about 15 miles north of Dublin. There is also Riverbend WMA about 5 miles east of Dublin. Riverbend has two sections to hunt. There are kid/adult quota hunts and I think Handicap hunts. You'll have to read the new regs to get the dates and allowable harvest. Both have a lots of river swamp to hunt. There used to be 2 sections of Beaver Dam as well but I'm not sure that's the case now.
Yea it’s only one track now . The section that was sold I hunted a spot there that was one of my all time favorite places to hunt . I stumbled on a huge grove of swamp persimmons , that’s what I called them anyway , the big tall persimmon trees . Anyway if they were falling you better have your release on the string and be ready .

common man

A lot of times public land can get confusing. I would suggest first read the regs. Of what you are trying to accomplish. Im an adult and I want to hunt the following wma's. Look in the regs when is it open for the species you want to hunt. If there is a number by it for people you know you need to apply online for that quota hunt. You will need to know these deadlines to apply anyway. No amount of people by it. Ok now is it buck only etc. I would also highly recommend getting ONYX on your phone. Very helpful seeing where your at marking areas while your scouting etc. Also google for a recent map. This is always helpful. Bring compass in case your phone dies. Good luck

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Here's a good place to start for general information on public land in Georgia:

Regarding that particular WMA, I've heard good things, but the best thing is to get on the ground and scout it. Shoot some squirrels in August while you look for sign. Things such as that.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Since you’re from Florida you already know about snakes I’m sure.
There are many who homestead on Beaverdam ;)

slow motion

Sounds like your getting some good advice. Just wanted to say good luck. Post up some pics of your success, or the scenery, or anything really. We like pics. And if you are so inclined try the LFTT, it's a blast.

humblehunter22

Hunted a lease across the river. Lots of dang pigs all over the general area. Had questioned riding across the way to investigate but was weary of going anywhere out of what I learned out with the road system. The "county" maintained roads as I could best tell it was travel at your own risk. Folks bogging down was a common occurrence on a regular basis on our side. I'd as much as look at the red clay and I'd dang near even in 4 wheel locked in still had a time trying to crawl my way out of it. Especially if them clay roads receive the slightest amount of rains. As stated predominantly swamp bottoms from what we could tell from our side of the river. Not joking on the hogs either they're everywhere down there. Id check around the corresponding waterfowl seasons. Place is a mad house during the waterfowl seasons when they were in. Shotguns ringing out sunrise thirty through end of legal shooting.

chrislibby88

I hunt Beaverdam regularly, mostly during archery, but I will usually hit the rifle hunt too.

Ga WMAS have two kinds of managed hunts. Bonus tag, and sign-in, usually 3-5 days long. These are the only times you can hunt deer with firearms during the GA season on WMAs. The Bonus tag hunts are the most popular, and get very crowded. On bonus tag/check-in hunts you bring any animal you kill to the WMA check station and the DNR staff records some data and tags the deer for you, and you don’t use your personal tags. You are limited to 2 deer per hunt. You need to sign in for this hunt, either in person at the WMA notice board, or online through the GAoitdoors app. They also do sign-in hunts for archery, and later in the season for forearms. Sign-in hunts use your own tags, and you don’t take your kills to the check station. You still sign in at the board or online. Pressure is usually much lower on the sign in hunts, as folks usually prefer to shoot deer on state tags rather than personal tags.

There are good deer numbers on this WMA, but then again, the entire middle GA area has pretty high deer densities.
You don’t need a permit, just the appropriate hunting licenses.
Archery sign-in is either sex.
The Bonus hunt in November is either-sex. The bonus hunt gets super crowded, have back up plans for your back up plans. I run into folks way back. The bonus hunts usually line up close to or during peak rut.
They also have at least one sign-in, buck only, rifle hunt later in the year, I can’t remember when, as I usually only do archery and the bonus hunt. The sign in hunts are usually post rut. Much less crowded, but the hunting isn’t as good, allegedly.

Any WMA in the middle GA area is on par for deer numbers and hunting pressure, and pretty much all are the same hardwood river bottom and managed pine habitat. The hunt dates differ property to property, so check the regs once the new season hunt dates come out.

Good luck.

Latest posts