First GA deer hunt...what should I know?

Got a question for the original poster, any chance you’re military? Just asking cause the move from CO to GA gave me that impression. If that’s the case, you have PLENTY of public at your fingertips.
No, I'm not military.

I put feet on the ground again yesterday and have a few spots picked out.

Next question: what is the secret to NOT walking through all the Joro webs?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm guessing it's unavoidable but short of bringing a flame thrower, do you all just go on about your day while picking off the 4 lb sticky monofilament out of your beards?

Edit: I keep reading about snake boots....we don't have them. Is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, if you see a couple idiots in all Kuiu Vias camo, and a Tundra with Colorado plates....stop by and say. 'howdy'.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No, I'm not military.

Next question: what is the secret to NOT walking through all the Joro webs?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm guessing it's unavoidable but short of bringing a flame thrower, do you all just go on about your day while picking off the 4 lb sticky monofilament out of your beards?

They ain't gonna bother you.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
No, I'm not military.

Edit: I keep reading about snake boots....we don't have them. Is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, if you see a couple idiots in all Kuiu Vias camo, and a Tundra with Colorado plates....stop by and say. 'howdy'.
Buddy, we ain't got no Kuiu Vias to hunt over here on the east coast. Might wanna make a trip to Walmart and get some real tree stuff.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Buddy, we ain't got no Kuiu Vias to hunt over here on the east coast. Might wanna make a trip to Walmart and get some real tree stuff.

You don`t even need that. Earth tone muted colors do just fine for deer and turkeys. I quit wearing designer camo clothes a long time ago, and I do just fine.

basshappy

BANNED
Leafy branch will remove spider webs from your path.

Blaze orange is always a smart color when bunting public land or shared land. The more orange the better.

Waddams

Re: Snake boots - much cheaper than a trip to the ER and being treated for a bite, and then the recovery.

About them Mollyhuggers - I ran into one once. If I hadn't just changed out the thermoflacker and changed the blinker fluid in my truck, it might not have gone fast enough for me to get away.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If you're talking about what I call Chinese Hat Spiders I just take about a 3 foot green twig and wave it up and down as I walk to my stand in the dark. They will bite but it ain't bad. Bout like a fire ant.

HavocLover

Snake boots aren’t a must, but they give me piece of mind. I’m absolutely terrified of the things, so the boots help ease my mind when romping through the woods. If you consider them, I can tell you which ones NOT to buy… that’s Danner. Mine are brand new (ish (now) ) but I’ve worn them plenty enough to break them in and they still feel and fit like crap. Literally told myself I’d be better off with a snake bite than to walk much further in them. If that wasn’t enough, it’s a TASK to get them off.

Well, good luck out there everyone! Hope you have a safe and successful opening weekend! I will be greatful if we lay eyes on a live deer. Can't expect much with a couple of Rocky Mountain men wandering aimlessly through whitetail woods. But, being in the woods with my son will be much needed therapy and we'll have a great time getting out there!

I appreciate everyone's input!

ucfireman

I got them, wear then in the spring. Sometimes.
I hunt after it cools down some and go in in the light, I can see a snake hopefully.
They will move during deer season. I have been fortunate, I have never gotten close to a venomus snake in the woods except once in S Alabama. I wont go back down there.

The camo, I buy the cheap stuff on clearance and put a few light layers on under. We don't get really cold like out west.

The spider webs, well I don't think there is anything you can do. The moment you think your good you get attacked by another one.

Permethrin on the clothes, you can buy pre mixed or buy from TSC and mix your own.

Just go, you'll be a pro (Southerner), maybe, in no time.

chrislibby88

Thank you all for the advice. What do you recommend for ticks, chiggers, etc? Colorado hunting is all about playing the wind on an approach/spot & stock. Not sure about bug spray here as we'll be still hunting on the ground and don't want to be covered in OFF bug spray.
Treat your clothes with permethrin. Lasts several washes.

Picardin bug spray for the skin. Doesn’t stink like deet. Barely has a smell.

Thermacell, strapped on my pack.