GA Turkey Hunting vs. FL

krizia829

How would you all compare GA turkey hunting to South FL? *Public Land*

Going for the first time this weekend here in south FL and was wondering how it compares to GA?

I have always been a deer hunter but we just got into turkey hunting to get more time out in the woods. This is a new world for me and from what I hear/can see, it's gonna be an addicting one!

Would love to hear your input!

Swamprat

Swamprat
South FL public birds are not afraid of water. birds are not as vocal for the most part, come in silent a lot, will flat out cover some ground quick, will travel thru areas that you do not think a bird will travel.

Since the area is so flat have had birds pitch up in a tree to try to eyeball the hen they are hearing across a palmetto flat.

Basically grew up hunting them from 1974 till I moved to NW Florida in 2003. Public land birds nowadays unless it is a quota are probably the toughest there is. Back in the day after the first week you basically had a whole WMA to yourself except for the few die hard hunters and you knew their names and the areas they hunted and we never had any issues between us.

Birds will use firebreaks, buggy trails, cow trails but that was back when a lot of public had cow leases, hog trails even if any of those have 2-4" of standing water in them.

What part of South FL, might be able to help.

DynamicDennis

GA birds are usually a lot more fun. Have killed a pile of orange grove birds that never gobbled. Even on the roost, killed one last year matter of fact. Never said a word. Basically FL birds are sit and wait type (deer hunt), those eastern's are fun to run and gun.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Not sure if Tampa area is considered South Fl?
But me n some friends went to that area last spring for our 1st time huntin in Fl.
We had a great time. We found the same hunting tactics from Ga work mighty fine.
We did hear that too though like said above, not to worry about water barriers like we do up here, them birds walk through the water every day half the day

krizia829

South FL public birds are not afraid of water. birds are not as vocal for the most part, come in silent a lot, will flat out cover some ground quick, will travel thru areas that you do not think a bird will travel.

Since the area is so flat have had birds pitch up in a tree to try to eyeball the hen they are hearing across a palmetto flat.

Basically grew up hunting them from 1974 till I moved to NW Florida in 2003. Public land birds nowadays unless it is a quota are probably the toughest there is. Back in the day after the first week you basically had a whole WMA to yourself except for the few die hard hunters and you knew their names and the areas they hunted and we never had any issues between us.

Birds will use firebreaks, buggy trails, cow trails but that was back when a lot of public had cow leases, hog trails even if any of those have 2-4" of standing water in them.

What part of South FL, might be able to help.
Collier County

FLGobstopper

First to answer your question, I've gotten my butt kicked in both places equally as bad. I personally enjoy hunting GA eastern's because even in some of the harder hunted areas I've encountered they still at least gobble pretty good and are a little more cooperative on carrying on a conversation. That doesn't mean they're going to march into the gun and I've had some S GA birds pull some pretty dirty tricks on me before that surprised me. FL birds can become very quiet and that gets old pretty quick to me.

Yeah Collier is S FL. I was just down in Hendry county that's east of there this past weekend with my daughter for her final youth hunt. Good news is the water level is really low right now and even better news the mosquitos weren't bad at all. Hunting was good for us, got on a good bird first morning that probably gobbled 100 x's between 6:15- 8:30 but just wanted to just strut in the pasture 150 yds away even after his hens left him to come check us out.

Got this one in a better setup spot the next morning right off the roost. We hiked over mile into these spots each morning and even though it was dry the walking through the thick grass was not easy and even with the youth hunt we were still dodging other hunters who were either scouting for opener or hunting with their kids.

I'm very thankful that I get to share the woods and hunt both states and experience the various habitat and sceneries plus I've met some great guys that have become good friends in both states. I hope you have a great trip going south, good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_5697.jpg
    IMG_5697.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5693.jpg
    IMG_5693.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 27

krizia829

Super dry down here right now. Most water has disappeared on the farm this week. Super windy too. Birds are on fire. Check the heavy shaded spots after 10AM
Thank you! We will try our best!

krizia829

First to answer your question, I've gotten my butt kicked in both places equally as bad. I personally enjoy hunting GA eastern's because even in some of the harder hunted areas I've encountered they still at least gobble pretty good and are a little more cooperative on carrying on a conversation. That doesn't mean they're going to march into the gun and I've had some S GA birds pull some pretty dirty tricks on me before that surprised me. FL birds can become very quiet and that gets old pretty quick to me.

Yeah Collier is S FL. I was just down in Hendry county that's east of there this past weekend with my daughter for her final youth hunt. Good news is the water level is really low right now and even better news the mosquitos weren't bad at all. Hunting was good for us, got on a good bird first morning that probably gobbled 100 x's between 6:15- 8:30 but just wanted to just strut in the pasture 150 yds away even after his hens left him to come check us out.

Got this one in a better setup spot the next morning right off the roost. We hiked over mile into these spots each morning and even though it was dry the walking through the thick grass was not easy and even with the youth hunt we were still dodging other hunters who were either scouting for opener or hunting with their kids.

I'm very thankful that I get to share the woods and hunt both states and experience the various habitat and sceneries plus I've met some great guys that have become good friends in both states. I hope you have a great trip going south, good luck!
Awesome!! Congratulations! I've hunted Hendry county a couple of times. Almost shot my first FL buck there a few years ago. The heat is what kills me. It's so brutal

Last edited:

Gut_Pile

That far south and it being opening weekend, you're probably going to be rubbing elbows with some people. Especially if it's general public and not a draw hunt. Expect any turkey you're hearing is also being heard by someone else. Stay alert, stay safe, and have fun. They can be a ball to hunt