Blue Ridge WMA

Gbr5pb

Is there any deers there since they quit harvesting timber? We used to hunt around the clear cuts years ago and had some luck but hadn’t hunted there in years and last time there trout fishing didn’t see anything but bear tracks

transfixer

And go ahead and prepare yourself mentally. Get into the mindset that the measure of success doesn't depend on killing a deer. Blue Ridge WMA is ranked 89th out of 99 with a 6.4% hunter success rate.

yeah, of all the times I hunted there years ago, I never saw a deer while hunting, saw some from the truck riding in or out, but never in the woods, never saw a bear either, but a husband and wife hunting the next ridge over from me on one trip did run across a bear, or the wife did at least,

Bear may be more plentiful up there now than deer ?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Is there any deers there since they quit harvesting timber? We used to hunt around the clear cuts years ago and had some luck but hadn’t hunted there in years and last time there trout fishing didn’t see anything but bear tracks

It’s the CNF.. Ain’t no deer around

DasHaas

Caught this group on my ring cam. I'm thinking hunt the WMA in the AM through the afternoon then hunt my property in the evening. Not sure if I'd shoot this guy but there may be some bigger ones out there. There is very little hunting pressure at my cabin.

Attachments

• IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 77

DasHaas

Closing the loop on this thread. I was able to harvest a nice doe in South GA. Unfortunately, I did not make it out much in North GA. I had a fire at my house in Blue Ridge so that put a bit of a wrinkle in my plans. I did get out a bit in the CNF and got a nice doe on my trail cam but I couldn't spend a great amount of time in the woods up north. I may do some scouting in the summer as well as maybe grow a small plot on my property (got a photo of a decent 8 pointer on my property but he only moves at night) for next season.

Overall I didn't see much movement on my trip, it was fairly warm and I'm guessing the huge acorn drop prevented them from traveling very far for food.