Missed yet again with the bow.

Waddams

Took a guy out that is from Africa, hunted Africa, but never deer in America today. Went to my favorite WMA, was planning on a stroll thru the woods to point out sign and give him some pointers to help him get started.

I told him up front I'm not a great hunter. I can read a map and aerial, see the features come together, and know where to go start looking to find sign, but I'm self taught with the help of YT and GON, I've got a long way to go.

I'm not expecting to see deer, much less have a shot opportunity. Two guys, talking away quietly, etc. Of course, very early we encounter a big doe. I decide to try to stalk up on the ground and try a shot. It went over her. She jumped, ran a little but stopped and then slowly moved off. I wasn't able to stalk up for a 2nd chance.

Pretty sure I need to invest in a rangefinder. I have the hardest time judging range. She's the 4th or 5th ground deer I've missed with a bow. I can hit stuff good at a 3D range - when I know the range from the shooting sticks. I gotta get a way to know the range better.

Was a great day otherwise, kinda hot, but we logged about 4 miles total. Found fresh rubs, scrapes, etc. Followed the sign to intersections, bedding, food. Saw a few more deer at distance but no more shot chances.

Only thing that would make it a better day is to have fresh venison to split with him.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Took a guy out that is from Africa, hunted Africa, but never deer in America today. Went to my favorite WMA, was planning on a stroll thru the woods to point out sign and give him some pointers to help him get started.

I told him up front I'm not a great hunter. I can read a map and aerial, see the features come together, and know where to go start looking to find sign, but I'm self taught with the help of YT and GON, I've got a long way to go.

I'm not expecting to see deer, much less have a shot opportunity. Two guys, talking away quietly, etc. Of course, very early we encounter a big doe. I decide to try to stalk up on the ground and try a shot. It went over her. She jumped, ran a little but stopped and then slowly moved off. I wasn't able to stalk up for a 2nd chance.

Pretty sure I need to invest in a rangefinder. I have the hardest time judging range. She's the 4th or 5th ground deer I've missed with a bow. I can hit stuff good at a 3D range - when I know the range from the shooting sticks. I gotta get a way to know the range better.

Was a great day otherwise, kinda hot, but we logged about 4 miles total. Found fresh rubs, scrapes, etc. Followed the sign to intersections, bedding, food. Saw a few more deer at distance but no more shot chances.

Only thing that would make it a better day is to have fresh venison to split with him.
Ever went through a quiver full of arrows, I have 3 times when I was in my teens. No lie.

Get a range finder, worth the investment

It will happen, good luck

Last edited:
I would rather clean miss all day than wound one. Get a rangefinder. I don’t step in the woods without one.
I’m like you never go hunting without one. I can’t guess the best and don’t want to wound one. Ole fred bear and people than can judge like that sure are great at it. I can get close but no confident enough to use a bow without one

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'd say get in a climber.

A modern bow should be shooting fast enough that 2 or more pins should be on the kill zone at medium distances so knowing the exact yardage is not critical.
If i determine that a deer is between 20 and 30 yards, I can bracket those two pins on the kill zone and let er rip... usually at at totally unaware target so a follow up after a miss is entirely possible...

BamaGeorgialine

Aim low for the heart. If they duck, and more than likely they will, you'll still hit lungs.

WOODIE13

It would help if I didn't misjudge range, line up the wrong pip, and send the arrow over the deer so bad! I'm the worst shot with a bow.
Buck fever...follow the science

It would help if I didn't misjudge range, line up the wrong pip, and send the arrow over the deer so bad! I'm the worst shot with a bow.
I have used the wrong pin many times over 30 years of bowhunting. I got a one pin slider sight and that helped me with getting excited and confused with mixing up the pins

WOODIE13

I did better when I shot instinctive, no sights at all.

Still get excited when I get deer close, will quit when I stop

Jim Boyd

Keep chopping sir!

Part of the learning curve.

Best of luck!

coolbreezeroho

I carry a range finder then a tree I see as I'm walking I will range in in my head like its a big buck.... then check and see how close I was to the reading on the actual ranger finder. This does help ....Do it on flat and uneven ground ....

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Losing arrows and broadheads at $10+ each would quickly pay for a rangefinder.

Know before you bow.

flatsmaster

Hang a rangefinder around ur neck
You can range and then shoot in seconds
Nothing helps confidence like making good shoots

krizia829

A rangefinder will be a huge help. Make sure it has the ARC feature.

Also, make sure you're not feeling target panic.

It's happened to me so many times and I've had terrible luck. I've lost 2 bucks that I blood trailed for who knows how far, and have plenty of misses.

My shooting has gotten much better since I learned about it and also bought the Bowmar Nose Button to help anchor correctly each time I draw.

Hope you can get yourself a deer soon!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Check your follow-thru...
Keep your eye on the pin and watch what it is doing immediately after the shot.
I like as little vertical motion as possible (not lateral) and quick return to the poi...
This will also help you focus on THE shot when the pressure and nerves are ON.

Latest posts