Grandson's First Solo Buck!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wow! What a handsome buck! Congratulations to young Walker getting it done. :rockon:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Not sure how I missed this, but congrats to the young man!

Jim Boyd

Giant congrats!

I cannot believe, in this lifetime anyway, that it gets any better than this…..

alwayslookin

My son Reid did the same last year, got his hunter safety in summer and got his first deer sitting by himself. This year he shot his best buck. I know you're a proud paw paw. Good stuff, congrats to Walker on a fine buck.

Walker turned 13 in August and completed his Hunter Safety course over the summer. So for the first time, he started hunting solo this year. We had several pictures of this 6+ yr old 8 point, and he was on the grand kids target list, so I told Walker to take him out of the herd if he got a chance. This afternoon he got in one of our stands located along an oak ridge where he shot his 10 pt. last year when I was with him. I was on a tractor loader on the other end of the farm cleaning up a field when he called me and told me he shot the target buck. I asked him to wait for me, as he said the deer had kicked and run out of the food plot at the 100 yd shot. I don't know which one was more nervous, me, my wife, my son (his dad), or Walker. We all wanted his first solo hunt to be a success. We all arrived at the stand and walked out into the field to the shot location. We were looking for sign where the buck had been standing at the shot, when I happened to look across into the hardwoods and saw him piled up around 40 yds. from the field. Walker was really excited, and covered the distance in no time. We are all proud of him, and granddaddy was really thankful that this benchmark moment in his young hunting life turned out so well!
you just need to get him in the back of truck and leave tailgate down and ride him around for a while . man that's one fine buck