Beaver trapping

I’ve only been trapping 2 years and am on my second beaver job , the beaver is coming in nightly and tearing trees to shreds I have 6 conibears out on every trail I’ve seen and one on what I was sure was his den entrance but all I catch at the den is turtles . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pic below of what I thought was den

Attachments

• D48E97F9-A2F6-4512-A2E1-F957E3B72276.jpeg
    D48E97F9-A2F6-4512-A2E1-F957E3B72276.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 44
  • EB7574DA-3CA1-444F-AE4D-2E797C5C9206.jpeg
    EB7574DA-3CA1-444F-AE4D-2E797C5C9206.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 44

2dye4

I would camouflage the trap in slightly deeper water and put a dive stick that is already in the picture just above the trap so they can’t plainly see the trap. Beavers are very quick to learn the dangers of conibears.

Doug B.

It sounds like they are already trap shy with your body grip traps. I would pull them and give them a few days to get back to using specific trails and then set foothold traps on drowning rigs on the most used trails.

Thanks guys I ended up find where his travel route was to chomp down small trees and dragging them in the water setup conibears there and camouflaged good and got him but I do appreciate all of your tips I will definitely look back at this in the future and take y’all’s advice for future jobs

Attachments

• 5CD3CC60-B784-4985-B643-E5EB410C7999.jpeg
    5CD3CC60-B784-4985-B643-E5EB410C7999.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 16

hdp

I'm having the same problem. Fresh tree down with trails around but no luck with the conibears. I have some snares that I will try. What footholds should I look at using? Thanks

sportsman94

I’m a big fan of the beaver extremes. Built like a tank, dogless, and easier to set than the 750s in my opinion. Can’t go wrong with either one or most of the other big traps for beaver

Doug B.

I’m a big fan of the beaver extremes. Built like a tank, dogless, and easier to set than the 750s in my opinion. Can’t go wrong with either one or most of the other big traps for beaver
I have never used the Beaver Extremes so I cannot comment on them. I typically use the MB750's and I love their performance. The levers do seem to be just a little short on them which makes them hard to set without setters and even harder to get off a beavers foot. I do have one TS 85 that I just don't like. I do like that it's dogless (not that it really matters) and it's big. But it is two coiled and seems really slow to me. It also does have a loose jaw that could possibly flip up I guess. It caught every beaver that stepped in it last winter which would roughly be 8 or 10 and I am just guessing cause I really don't remember.

Honestly, sportsman94 is probably right. I would guess you could be successful with any of the big traps that are used for beavers. Bedding and trap prep has a lot to do with it.

Still, my favorite would be the MB750.

sportsman94

There’s also the Bridger 5 dogless that minntrapprod has out now. It may be a little cheaper version than the extreme or 750 if you want to go that route.

Doug, there’s a local professsional who is death on any critter he decides to go after and he switched all his beaver footholds from 750s to the extremes after trying them. I have a ton of respect for him and that’s honestly why I went with them. I probably haven’t caught more than 50-75 beavers so I defer to the more experienced guys for advice on gear. I consider you one of those too, but I already tooled up with the extremes so I should be set for a little while.

His name is Doug too. Maybe there’s something to guys named Doug being great at killing critters.

Doug B.

There’s also the Bridger 5 dogless that minntrapprod has out now. It may be a little cheaper version than the extreme or 750 if you want to go that route.

Doug, there’s a local professsional who is death on any critter he decides to go after and he switched all his beaver footholds from 750s to the extremes after trying them. I have a ton of respect for him and that’s honestly why I went with them. I probably haven’t caught more than 50-75 beavers so I defer to the more experienced guys for advice on gear. I consider you one of those too, but I already tooled up with the extremes so I should be set for a little while.

His name is Doug too. Maybe there’s something to guys named Doug being great at killing critters.
Absolutely!!! Use the traps you like and have confidence in. There is definitely nothing wrong with that. I would never suggest that somebody use what I use just because I like them. I guess that is why they make different brands.

And I agree, the Bridger #5's would probably be a great trap to use for beaver.

Thanks for the kind words. But I'm afraid the name Doug don't help anything. I'm lucky if I get to see a couple of critters a year. Actually catching one or two would be a dream come true!!!:yeah: