Bersa Thunder 380 and Beretta Cheetah 380

JR924

What are your thoughts on this gun as a pocket carry? I like the all metal construction, safety features and looks like a good gun for those that like the look of the Walther PPK but the is too expensive. I also heard good things about the Beretta Cheetah 380 but more as a home gun for my wife. Did not get to try it but the gun store guy said one of the most easiest gun to rack and a very low double action trigger pull. My wife has extreem difficulty with racking and sliding several guns she tried and is extremely recoil shy..

killerv

In my experience, very few women do well with 380s, they limp wrist the heck out of them. With as small as 9mm pistols are being made these days, the 380 days are about over. A true pocket 380 would be an lcp or keltec, the guns you mentioned are rather too big for that.

krizia829

If I had to pick between the 2, I would take the Beretta all day over Bersa.

I sold quite a few at BP about 10 years ago and they're great guns but if it's for your wife at home, get a little more stopping power.

I sold more 357 mag revolvers for women. You also have the option of shooting 38spl and either option will be perfect for both pocket carry, and home defense.

I'm not a huge 380 fan but it will do the job if needed. They're just too snappy. I bought myself a Glock 48 9mm not long ago and it's a dream for my hands!

If she has trouble racking the slide, have her look at the M&P Shield EZ. VERY easy to rack and super reliable

Liberty

They are reliable when taken care of and they shoot well. That said, they are heavy and past their day with 9’s being more compact along with very small 380’s.

GregoryB.

I have the Bersa Thunder. Got it for my Wife probably 10 years ago. She didn’t have a problem with it once I taught her to hold the slide and push the grip to rack it. No problem with recoil either. Wife is only 5ft tall so not a big woman. I shot it quite a bit. Handled steel cased wolf ammo without a problem.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I carry a S&W Bodyguard when concealment is a concern. In a pocket holster or disguised as a phone case it’s great in those situations. It shoots good for the ranges of expected use. I carry a Glock 9MM otherwise.

Bobby Bigtime

I have been around a few of the bersa pistols over the past few years and they perform well above their price point. The bersa thunder combat is a nice little gem with very comfortable grips. I would like to get one after shooting a couple. The .380 ammo has come a long way from what it used to be and there are some very good defense rounds available. My sister in law and i picked out a little Walther 380 summer before last it shoots and feeds well.she is happy and confident with it. I love most guns and especially revolvers for carry but I will have to say they are a more expensive option.

JR924

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, but I think plastic guns are butt ugly although I understand they may be a more effective carry. The Bersa Thunder is just so cheap for an all metal gun with a decocker and other safety features plus good reviews. $289 at Cherokee Gun and Pawn for nickle with black plastic grip and $269 for blue and purple guns (yuck) and $229 for a black one at Palmetto Armory. The Beretta Cheetah is $739 so off the table for now. I just need to get my wife to the gun store and try some guns. I am concerned besides the slide, she may have difficulty with a double action trigger. Note she hates gun so extremely hard to talk to her about them and so far impossible to get her to a gun store but she has been softening up on a pistol now in our 40th year of marrige. My Yugo has a 10 lb trigger so I will test that first before the gun store. For me, I want a cheap metal pocket 380 gun, that I like the looks and feel of so I will carry it, so I can retire my Beretta 1934 to the gun safe. I want to use the same ammo. The Beretta was made in 1939 so I am sure it served in the war. Will make a trip to the gun store myself to decide on the cheap 380 I will buy for now. I do have the funds to make that purchase. I will compare the Bersa to the LCP and see what else is in stock to try. Later, when I get the funds, I will buy a nicer more powerful pistol like a Beretta M9A3. Just love the look of that gun and reputation for accuracy.

Bobby Bigtime

Give impact guns a try they have a great selection good prices and usually offer free shipping. Shooting the bersa thunder combat, the Walther,and the Ruger. That are in the same price range;to me the bersa with the olive rubber grips beat out the others. Good luck on your selection!

Dub

Seems like we went through this in the thread above.....

JR924

Yes, I learned from that thread but this was focused on reviews of two 380 pistols; the Bersa Thunder and the Beretta Cheetah. I did not ask about any other pistols or calibers. However, I still liked all the posts, even the tangents, although I did hear some of it repeated on that prior thread you referenced. Such tangents happen all the time. People want to talk about their preferences certainly when it comes to guns and women. Myself, I am a leg man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Darien1

You might want to consider a Tisas Fatih 380. Its a Beretta Cheeta clone and In my humble opinion just as good. I have both of them, and I tend to favor the Tisas. Check the You Tube videos on them. The price is in your ball park too. There are several for sale on Gun Broker for around $400

BriarPatch99

My Wife has the Bersa Thunder .380...

Mostly metal... and the fact that the barrel is pinned to the frame makes it real accurate...

Yeah there are a few areas where the machine work is not at good as it could be.... But the price takes that into account...

The same advances in other 9 mm bullets have filtered down into the smaller 9mm (.355") like the 80 & 90 grain...

JR924

I bought the Bersa Thunder Plus 380. It was between a Ruger LCP max, Charter Arms 13820 DA/SA Undercover Std. 38 special, , Rock Island M206 38 special and EAA Windicator 357 mag/38 special. Tried them all. Really liked the looks and feel of the Rock Island and the Ruger LCP Max plus was the most concealable, had adjustable sights and looked like a good shooter but was the priciest.

Really liked the looks of the Rock Island M206 over the Charter Arms but afraid the fixed sights may be off. Sounds like you are screwed if the fixed sights are off. Picked the Bersa due to adjustable sights, big magazine, using same ammo as my Beretta 1934, decocker and all metal construction. Should be a good shooter with manageable recoil. Probably more of a truck gun.

Will probably get the EAA windicator for home and the Ruger LCP max for CC next time. It is actually made by Weihrauch, a long time high end precision air gun manufacturer. Surprised they made such a cheap revolver but made like a tank and weighs as much. Thanks for all the advise.

GunnSmokeer

I don't Have any experience with the Beretta Cheetah.

I owned a Bersa Thunder .380 and put about 300 rounds through it before giving it to my nephew as a 25th birthday present.

He and I both like it.
It's bigger and heavier than other 380s that we have in the family like my Kel-tec P3AT or my brother's Kahr CW 380, but the Bersa's thickness and heavier weight and longer slide and barrel give it better point-ability better shoot-ability.
It seems more accurate and it definitely recoils less.

The DA trigger pull is nicer than most 38 special revolvers. But being a true double action, it is much heavier and longer than a Glock type "safe action" those other striker fired pistols have.
The Bersa's double action trigger pull is better than a true Walther and I have tested it side by side with Walthers imported by interarms and Smith & Wesson branded Walthers.

Last edited:

JR924

I bought the Bersa Thunder Plus. Like it so far and the speed reloader overcame the too stiff magazine spring. One thing that surprised me was I saw a video that said Bersa's can blow apart. However could not find other sources on this. Anybody have any more information on this??? I did send an email to Bersa on the topic.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

I don't know about "blow apart" but there is a phenomenon of some part in the trigger linkage that can work loose, if the grip panels aren't kept screwed-on fully, and when that trigger linkage has room to wriggle, you might get a condition where the gun won't fire.

Google it to read more. My nephew says it happened to him one time, and he researched it online and found many articles and videos talking about it and how to prevent it / correct it.

Latest posts