Best book on tree identification?

Ugahunter2013

What is the best book on tree identification, preferably for the Southeast? I have tried the apps on the phone and they are not accurate. I would like to find a thorough book with color picutures of bark, leaves, etc. Thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thee are several good ones out there, and some bad ones. None are perfect. The Peterson's Field Guides are usually good basic ones. If you want to get more in-depth, something like Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern U.S.

Fishin & Hunting

Trees of North America by Frank Brockman, Illustrated by Rebecca Merrilees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

oldfella1962

What is the best book on tree identification, preferably for the Southeast? I have tried the apps on the phone and they are not accurate. I would like to find a thorough book with color picutures of bark, leaves, etc. Thanks
You hit the jackpot! I'm literally wearing out my copy.
Here it is:

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees Eastern Region

The title says Eastern but this includes the South East. It has pictures of the leaves/bark, maps of the exact range of where the trees grow, the general areas (wet, dry, soil, etc) where they grow, fruits/flowers. etc. etc. :)
My book was a gift, but I'm guessing it's expensive but will be worth every dome I guarantee it. (y)

Interesting sidenote: the geological "fall line" cutting through Georgia determines the range of where many trees naturally grow (or don't grow) to a major degree. I live just north of the fall line, but do outdoor activities just south of the fall line, and the soil conditions are like night & day.
Anyway, I highly recommend this book.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Gaswamp

The first two are from 1936 and 1948

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_230045329.jpg
    PXL_20230603_230045329.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230603_230058807.jpg
    PXL_20230603_230058807.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 3

tad1

I got this old one too Gaswamp! Granny gave it to me years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 2

tad1

There’s some really cool apps to use these days.
Also, posting pictures up on GON usually get you the ID pretty quick, some sharp folks on here!
JT