Best Pulled Pork from a Gas Station

Fletch_W

Banned
Excellent... not the best I've ever had, but the best commercial pork I've ever had, hands down ...

I ate it yesterday in Macon Mississippi from a Shell Station on the corner of Highway 14 and Jefferson St. The locals call it "The old Texaco", I can only assume it used to be a Texaco station.

It was, and still is (got some to-go, eating tonight) the best pulled pork I've ever paid for.

The most amusing thing to me, is that when I pulled into the small town of 2000, my first thought was "Why hasn't anyone opened a McDonald's here?" I later found out why.

The bark is crispy, black, and subtly spicy. The meat is moist and tender, not mushy. They keep the butts whole under the heat lamp until they need it, instead of just pulling it all at once and keeping it hot (health code), which dries out alot of pulled pork you get commercially.

Doyle

I've got a Texaco station here that has a deli in the back. Because none of the workers back there speaks english (at least well), we all call it the "Mexaco Station". Half the people at work turn their noses up at me for getting food at a gas station. The other half have gone with me and know how good the food is.

Bottom line - you can find some good eats in odd places.