Best ROCK guitar solos IMHO

DannyW

Gave my son an old 1970's vintage stereo system a few years ago and now he has built up a great collection of old rock and roll vinyl...you know, real music. ::ke:

hopper

Diamond Head came on listening to pandora this morning. Forgot all about Brian Tatler.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I just watched the entire Jimi Hendrix concert at the Atlanta Pop festival on July 4th, 1970 on GPTV. That may top them all

TomC

Wow...that was terrific! And everyone on stage knew it was special too.
I'm partial to the Gdansk version but BOW DOWN TO THE MAN!!!! More tone in those on fingers than anyone thats ever played guitar. It isn't rock per say but his performance of Marooned from the Fender 50th B'Day celebration is right up there with Comfortably Numb in terms of tone sent down from Heaven.

Oldstick

I just watched the entire Jimi Hendrix concert at the Atlanta Pop festival on July 4th, 1970 on GPTV. That may top them all
I saw that as well. That would be in the top echelons of my voting as well.

By the way, we live near the site of that concert that took place near Byron, GA. My departed Father-in-Law always had many amusing stories to tell from that weekend. He was a Coke (as in Coca-Cola) truck driver servicing all the the food stands. Hippies hitching rides on the back of his truck, hippies skinny dipping in the creek, etc. etc. etc. etc. :LOL:

Stroker

I was there, I'll never forget that night.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Freebird and one Pink Floyd song "Comfortably Numb" are on a lot of "favorite lists" but here is my (personal) problem: both songs have a string section AKA violins. :( String sections in rock songs are a deal breaker for me. Silly? Perhaps, but it just ruins the whole song.
I love when rock bands bring in the orchestra!
November Rain comes to mind

Lots of Pink Floyd
Even avenged sevenfold has some…..but I do like this list stuff.
I was gonna post “one in a million” by GNR. It stands out as one of my favorites with the acoustic taking on the solo……it’s got some language going on. Boy times have changed

oldfella1962

My Sharonna - The Knack & Phil X
Ballroom Blitz - Band Geeks
Most anything by SRV
Thank you! Good to see somebody recognize the "My Sharona solo". Never heard the Phil X version (or maybe I did and Phil X is the Knack's original lead guitar player) but I'm going to you tube it right now! That said, any radio station that plays the short version (shortened guitar solo) of My Sharona should do hard time in a penitentiary. :mad:

Big7

The Oracle
Led Zeppelin 1 set the stage and the benchmark.

You could say that about 3 or 4 songs on any of Zeppelin's albums.

The best solo ever as far as I'm concerned is the live version of Stairway To Heaven recorded at Madison Square Garden in 1973 and released on the movie soundtrack The Song Remains The Same in 1976

To many Toni Iommi solos to even mention.
Black Sabbath was the fathers of heavy metal and they have the largest body of work.
Notice I said heavy metal not speed metal or any of that other noise and distortion.

Studio albums19
Live albums8
Compilation albums13
Video albums9
EPs3
Singles37
Box sets13