BIG BASS (Pic Heavy)

Thread starter #1
Everybody loves pictures of giant bass, and it so happens that I have an actual photo album of all the big ones I've caught over the past season or two. A bass doesn't really reach the "big" category for me unless they're over 4 and a half pounds, but they don't make the album unless they're over 5. Every single one of these fish posted will be anywhere from 5-9lbs each. The smallest being 5.04lbs and the largest just a hair shy of 10lbs with many in the 7-8 range. Enjoy!

Attachments

Thread starter #2
Here's a couple more from the highlight reel!

Attachments

Thread starter #3
Thread starter #5
Thread starter #8
Just a couple more of these hawgs

Attachments

Thread starter #10
Dang. That’s a lifetime of linkers there. To do that in 2 years is pretty impressive.
Thanks! I think last year I got something like 34 bass over 5 pounds or something like that. But I stopped fishing for them mid summer last year to go and mess around with other fish. Next year I'll probably try to get over 50 that size.

Thread starter #15
Great job.
That's more than most of us catch in a lifetime.
Care to give your secrets?
Here's the top 5 things I could tell you to catch bigger bass.
1) Study bass behavior and habits. Big ones are totally different fish than small ones. They behave much differently, especially when they get to be 7-8lbs or better.
2) Fish bigger baits. Many of these fish were taken on large worms, creature baits and swimbaits. A few on topwater. But a big slow moving bait catches better quality. The top 3 big bass lures of all time are plastic worms, jigs, and spinnerbaits. This is backed by research conducted on different lakes around the country.

3) Think quality over quantity. Don't expect to get a ton of bites if you're using big baits. A 2 pounder will not hesitate to grab a 10 inch swimbait, but it doesn't happen often. Normally you'll fish a big worm or big jig or something and you're only looking for one or just a few bites. Patience is key. Also big bass are more territorial than smaller bass. They're normally loners. Nobody has ever ran into a school of 12 pounders.

4) Fish where the big fish live. Deeper water with prime structure and cover around. Bigger fish tend to live deeper than their smaller counterparts. Even during the spawn. If you're catching 3 pounders up in 3-4 feet of water, try 7-10 feet in the same area.

5) Fish during the right times. Prime time is early in the day and late evening and even after dark. Especially during the summer. But you have to watch seasonal changes because in the winter they bite best during the warmest part of the day. Your best window of the year for the biggest bass are spring and late fall. The pre spawn to post spawn period is by far and away the number one time to be on the water looking for Monster bass and it begins long before most fishermen are even getting their lines wet. But definitely slow down your presentation because Big bass are extremely lazy and will not go too far or too fast to eat a bait. The number of big ones I've caught burning a crankbait or topwater aren't nearly as many as I've caught barely dragging a jig or worm on bottom.