Black Cherry

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Hey Guys, I have had a tree in the back yard that sprouted naturally about 10 years ago and its now leaning on my fence. I used the phone app to identify it today and was surprised to learn that it is Black Cherry. I did a quick google and I guess that it is very good for woodworking projects. It is not mature yet because it has never produced fruit but I do need to at least trim a few limbs.

If any of you fine knife makers want a couple of pieces, happy to mail it to you at no cost. Again, I know nothing about Black Cherry but thought that I would offer some up just to see the end results.

Just send me a PM

Anvil Head

Very generous gesture. I'm not in need myself, but maybe someone will have a use. Normally black cherry needs to be pretty substantial in maturity and size to have developed enough core wood to be of use. They grow pretty fast here in the south, so usually have fairly large amount of "sap wood" (soft/white) around the perimeter of the core (harder/dark). Anything under 12" - 15" dia. usually won't have much to show.

Stob

Very generous gesture. I'm not in need myself, but maybe someone will have a use. Normally black cherry needs to be pretty substantial in maturity and size to have developed enough core wood to be of use. They grow pretty fast here in the south, so usually have fairly large amount of "sap wood" (soft/white) around the perimeter of the core (harder/dark). Anything under 12" - 15" dia. usually won't have much to show.
Thanks for the info, I know nothing about it. I think I may try to make a good walking stick out of some of it. I did read up a bit that it has to dry for a few months first.

Anvil Head

If you are cutting it "fresh" (still green), I'd suggest a couple of things up front:
1 - Peel the bark off right away, easier than when it dries out.
2 - Cut a couple of inches over size and hot wax both ends 2 - 3 inches (old melted candle scraps work fine).
3 - Weigh the piece if you can - before/after thing - write it down. Then set in a dry place to dry out making sure it is laying horizontal and supported every 12"s or so (or it will warp). Attic's work fine. Let it be for about 2 months then check the weight again (should be noticeably less). Leave it alone for another month and re-weigh, if about the same your good to go. If not, repeat every month until the weight is stable. Lazy man's way to cure out wood.
Note: dry time is relative to dimensions of wood, planks and thick turning squares will take longer, sticks not so much. Do more than just one piece at a time.
Hope this is helpful.

Stob

If you are cutting it "fresh" (still green), I'd suggest a couple of things up front:
1 - Peel the bark off right away, easier than when it dries out.
2 - Cut a couple of inches over size and hot wax both ends 2 - 3 inches (old melted candle scraps work fine).
3 - Weigh the piece if you can - before/after thing - write it down. Then set in a dry place to dry out making sure it is laying horizontal and supported every 12"s or so (or it will warp). Attic's work fine. Let it be for about 2 months then check the weight again (should be noticeably less). Leave it alone for another month and re-weigh, if about the same your good to go. If not, repeat every month until the weight is stable. Lazy man's way to cure out wood.
Note: dry time is relative to dimensions of wood, planks and thick turning squares will take longer, sticks not so much. Do more than just one piece at a time.
Hope this is helpful.
Really appreciate this. I am pretty handy working with wood but not raw material. Excited to play around with it. I'll post pics up when that time comes.