Bowfishing

Tabg

I’m a avid bowfish er that just moved down to Georgia for the summer to work until my girl gets back from deployment, I’m here from ny where snapping turtles and carp are the only thing can bowfish for. I was trying to find a list of all the species of fish I can bow fish in ga, or a list of all non game fish can shoot and spear fish. Also does anyone know if I can take turtles with my bowfishing gear? I saw fire arms are allowed but couldn’t find anything on archery equipment. Thanks I’m advance

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know about the legality of the turtles, but there are carp, gar, buffalo, catfish, and a few others you can shoot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome thank you. Can you shoot sucker fish and bowfin here also?
As far as I know, anything that isn't listed as a game fish is legal. Grass carp and blue catfish may be protected in some places.

Robust Redhorse

Where did you read that firearms are allowed?

I don't think that will fly in most cases with your local Game Warden.

If the waterway is considered a "trout stream" then you can't shoot an arrow at anything.

Before you shoot an arrow into the water, talk to your Game Warden:

https://gadnrle.org/find-ranger

Tabg

Where did you read that firearms are allowed?

I don't think that will fly in most cases with your local Game Warden.

If the waterway is considered a "trout stream" then you can't shoot an arrow at anything.

Before you shoot an arrow into the water, talk to your Game Warden:

https://gadnrle.org/find-ranger
Says in “turteling” if you search Georgia regs, had possession limit, trapping snd said I think 13 species of aquatic freshwater turtles are harvestable and firearms are allowed but follow small game rules. In ny we could only get snappers, and weren’t allowed to trap or hook /line them only shoot bow or gun, regs here don’t say anything about archery is why adked

Robust Redhorse

I would still recommend talking to the Game Warden in the county where you plan to shoot turtles or bow fish for anything.

It could be illegal for several reasons:

- Corps of Engineer Property
- Georgia Power Property
- State Owned Property
- Private Property (If you shoot a turtle on the bank of a private landowner, you may have just committed criminal trespassing, if you are not in possession of a WRITTEN letter from that property owner. Same with a fish taken with an arrow, if you are on the surface of the water where the taxes on that water surface is paid by a private land owner)

- If your boat is being powered by a motor when the trigger is pulled
- If you are in a local jurisdiction where discharge of a firearm is prohibited

Georgia courts tend to lean very solidly towards privately property rights.

I'd rather be safe, than spend the night in the county jail.

Tabg

Oh wow, had no idea like that here, heck in ny can duck hunt right off someone’s bay window if your shooting over 500’ open water and as long as your floating. So does that mean Altoona and the mouth of the etoah are off limits? I saw on map said some is corp owned