Boyd’s At One stock

Baroque Brass

I’m considering a Boyd’s At One (not sure why they call it that) stock for my 22-250. Its an adjustable stock like the ones on precision rifles. I want to make it a bench rifle since I probably won’t use it for much else. Any thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

I did a review on one a couple years ago over at Savage shooters. Went through it as well as I could and documented my findings. Unbiased in any way for or against Boyds, but they did comp me the stock in order to do the review. Here's a link. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?515-Boyds-AT-ONE-Thumbhole-Stock-Review Still have the stock but haven't shot it much since. I installed it just as it came except relieving the barrel channel for my heavy barrel. Could probably benefit from a bedding job but I haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited:

Baroque Brass

I did a review on one a couple years ago over at Savage shooters. Went through it as well as I could and documented my findings. Unbiased in any way for or against Boyds, but they did comp me the stock in order to do the review. Here's a link. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?515-Boyds-AT-ONE-Thumbhole-Stock-Review Still have the stock but haven't shot it much since. I installed it just as it came except relieving the barrel channel for my heavy barrel. Could probably benefit from a bedding job but I haven't gotten around to it.
Great review, thanks for the link. Sounds like the Boyd’s is a good investment, I think I’m sold. Thanks again. I’ll post my opinion when I get the stock and have a chance to review it.

Baroque Brass

got me a little interested in them
Did you look at the different colors? I like wood that looks like wood so the nutmeg color appeals to me. I don’t care for the zombie green they feature. Do you like thumb holes? I don’t have much experience with them but I think I prefer a traditional grip.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a thumbhole on a 700ADL in Nutmeg. The top line is pretty straight...it's OK. It has the potential of creating better fundamentals. With your thumb through the hole and your index finger on the trigger to use a more natural pincher type set up for a better trigger follow through... then use the other fingers to pull it into the pocket....very similar to resting it on the right side (RH Shooter) instead of across the stock. It isolates the 2 fingers better...for a straight on trigger pull.

That was also something that Frank talked about in the class I took at the Rifle Expo.

The pepper laminate that is on my .270WSM is thumbhole and a 17HMR I have is pepper thumbhole too. One is SS and the other is the matte blue and they both look good in the pepper. The black Aluma-Hyde on my .270 looks good in the Nutmeg too.

If you want pictures I can do that.

bighonkinjeep

Personally I'm not really fond of traditional thumbhole stocks and the way they limit shooting from only one side, but I do like the ambidextrous ones like the AT One pretty well. They seem to give good control allowing better follow through and also seem to me to mitigate some of the recoil by spreading it to the hand as well as the shoulder. One of my few dislikes is the laminate seems kind of soft as compared to other laminates I own or traditional walnut.

Baroque Brass

I have a thumbhole on a 700ADL in Nutmeg. The top line is pretty straight...it's OK. It has the potential of creating better fundamentals. With your thumb through the hole and your index finger on the trigger to use a more natural pincher type set up for a better trigger follow through... then use the other fingers to pull it into the pocket....very similar to resting it on the right side (RH Shooter) instead of across the stock. It isolates the 2 fingers better...for a straight on trigger pull.

That was also something that Frank talked about in the class I took at the Rifle Expo.

The pepper laminate that is on my .270WSM is thumbhole and a 17HMR I have is pepper thumbhole too. One is SS and the other is the matte blue and they both look good in the pepper. The black Aluma-Hyde on my .270 looks good in the Nutmeg too.

If you want pictures I can do that.
Pictures would be much appreciated. When bench shooting with my 22-250 I really don’t grip the rifle any more than have to since the recoil is light. I try to just use my trigger finger as lightly as possible, with the rifle resting on sand bags. I wish I could shoot a thumbhole stock a few times before making my decision. I have a friend that may have one, I need to check with him.

Baroque Brass

I got my stock today and got the rifle swapped to it. I think I’m going to like it, some of the edges are a little square. The magazine won’t seat in the new stock. I had to gently push the trigger guard and magazine well into the stock and with everything tightened down the magazine won’t seat. If it does it’s really hard to remove. I’m disappointed that things don’t fit like I expected. I also found a flaw in the finish.952E6E0B-06DB-4781-B988-76364EC0ECD6.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just seeing this for some reason...I can get a few posted for you if you still need them. You can come shoot all 3 of my thumb holes.

Is that the Boyd's adjustable? Recoil systems looks like Graco almost

Baroque Brass

Just seeing this for some reason...I can get a few posted for you if you still need them. You can come shoot all 3 of my thumb holes.

Is that the Boyd's adjustable? Recoil systems looks like Graco almost
Yes, the LOP and comb height are fully adjustable. Any suggestions about the magazine not seating? It’s like I need to remove a bit of material from the stock where the magazine well is.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you may need to...hard to tell without seeing it and what it is binding on. It sounds like from what you are saying you need to work on the inlet for the bottom metal so that it is a smooth fit rather than the pressed fit you have. Bottom metal is aluminum?

Baroque Brass

I called Boyd’s, they are paying return on the stock and will check everything. Pleased with their service so far. I’ll let you know how things progress. Thanks for you input.

jcofer

I own one - Remington model 7 .243 - absolutely love it. Came CNC machined if I am correct. Fit perfect. After looking at all they had to offer - I chose the pepper laminated.

hayseed_theology

I've got two Boyd's stocks. I like them a lot. I'd purchase from them again. But both sets required about an hour of work with a chisel, file, and sandpaper before they would fit. In both cases, the bolt hole for the butt stock was drilled off center. All that to say, my experiences is that the inletting is good, but not great. Expect to do a little fitting.

Darkhorse

I'm interested in the At One stock also. My thinking is I would need to first fit the gun to the stock to suit me. Mostly by working the inlets with a small chisel, I have a good many chisels from building flintlocks, so I should have the right one for the job.
After all fits the next thing I would do is fully bed the entire action. That's just something I feel benefits most stocks, wood especially.
If I bought one it would be for my Tikka T3. I just like the idea of a fully adjustable rifle stock.

Baroque Brass

I'm interested in the At One stock also. My thinking is I would need to first fit the gun to the stock to suit me. Mostly by working the inlets with a small chisel, I have a good many chisels from building flintlocks, so I should have the right one for the job.
After all fits the next thing I would do is fully bed the entire action. That's just something I feel benefits most stocks, wood especially.
If I bought one it would be for my Tikka T3. I just like the idea of a fully adjustable rifle stock.
That’s what will go in my Boyd’s when I get it back, my Tikka T3x. Maybe I should have expected to do some fitting but I thought it would be plug and play.

Baroque Brass

Update: the stock was delivered to Boyd’s on Wednesday. I was really hoping they would fix the problems and get it shipped back out before Christmas but that’s not going to happen. I also decided to add a target grip which is a $20 up charge. If I was the customer service manager I would have done two things. First give the stock priority handling and get it turned around and second there wouldn’t have been an up charge for the grip. That would help to make up for having to return it for fit and finish problems.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I remember ordering a Bell & Carlson once and them shipping me 3 before I got one that was right. It was finish ( Mossy Oak) and LOP issues every time.

They probably put yours 1st in line after the others ones they have had returned...nothing new to them...what ever happened to quality control