Brook Trout Catch in CO...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a grown one for sure, but no color like you'd expect on a wild fish. I don't know if they stock them out there still or not, but they dump some big old brooder northern brooks like that in the delayed harvest and tribal waters here every year. I've caught several over 20" over the years. The NC state record is about that same size as the one in the article, and I'm sure it came straight out of the Rez hatchery.

Tight Lines

That's a grown one for sure, but no color like you'd expect on a wild fish. I don't know if they stock them out there still or not, but they dump some big old brooder northern brooks like that in the delayed harvest and tribal waters here every year. I've caught several over 20" over the years. The NC state record is about that same size as the one in the article, and I'm sure it came straight out of the Rez hatchery.
I think it is a big dark female, lake run. They look like that in Labrador if they are not males...I think they are naturally reproducing in those streams that connect the lakes up there and have plenty of food...I used to fish the streams below that area...never fished the lakes when I lived out there much...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is a big dark female, lake run. They look like that in Labrador if they are not males...I think they are naturally reproducing in those streams that connect the lakes up there and have plenty of food...I used to fish the streams below that area...never fished the lakes when I lived out there much...
Could be. I doubt if they would still be stocking them anyway since they are now generally considered an invasive species out there and usually have very liberal limits on them.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've caught a whole bunch of brookies in Colorado, and in general, they don't have the bright coloration that our native specks do. I don't know if that's the Labrador strain in them, or diet, or what. But as a whole, specks I catch in the Appalachians are more colorful than those I've caught out there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I got some buddies that go out every there year and camp. They told me the locals considered specks a trash fish !
They take over and root out the native cutthroats out there like the rainbows do to the specks here.

Buckman18

I’ve caught a lot of brook trout in Colorado. They definitely look different than our specks, some are much brighter and some look like the stocked brooks here in GA. Ours get the nod on looks, both taste delicious.