Brought an old revolver back from the dead

Robert28

I picked this ‘82 Ruger Police Service Six up about a year ago in a pawn shop near my house that sells alot of guns, both new and used. You never know what you’re going to find in here and they always have fairly good prices for the most part. When I asked to hold it you couldn’t even get the cylinder to spin and the hammer was really tough to pull back. It functioned though, and that’s all I cared about. It looked like it had 25,000+ rounds through it and had never been cleaned in its life. The lead buildup around the barrel and on the cylinder was unreal. I’d never seen anything like it! It was rough to say the least. So I made an offer and they accepted it. Got it home and realized I’d just taken on a project that was a bit more than I was expecting. So it sat in the safe until recently when I finally decided I owed it to this old gun to see if I could clean it up and see what it looked like under all the carbon and lead and gunk. It was ugly and I wish I had pics of it before but didn’t take any. This is one run through the ultrasonic cleaner, then lots of hand cleaning after because I had to scrape lead from around the barrel and you don’t even want to know what the trigger mechanism looked like. It was bad. Here’s the finished product and I even order a set of wood factory Ruger grips for it that should be here soon.

Attachments

• 82B3907F-42E4-466C-91A1-B9E56E2B8E4C.jpeg
    82B3907F-42E4-466C-91A1-B9E56E2B8E4C.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 82FB521F-92D2-4B22-9CD2-D9F3F197482C.jpeg
    82FB521F-92D2-4B22-9CD2-D9F3F197482C.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 57

bullgator

Nice. I really like the old Ruger DA revolvers of that era.

Robert28

Nice. I really like the old Ruger DA revolvers of that era.
Same here. The SP101 and GP100 never blew my skirt up but the Ruger Sixes are fantastic. I was surprised I came across it for the price I did but it was probably because of the shape it was in. The pics really don’t do it justice now.

specialk

I had a security six ruger about that same time frame, my first handgun....got it at davids gun room buford hwy. about '85.....bianchi holster and 2 boxes ammo was like 280.00....

Big7

The Oracle
Ruger makes some of the toughest guns in the industry.

Congratulations on a great find. :cool: