Handgun Recommendations for First Semi-Auto?

Tight Lines

My son is turning 16 in a couple of weeks. He loves my pistols but he doesn't have one of his own (sans a Ruger Bearcat which he has shot the barrel out of!) and I'm considering buying him one since he already has his car (an old truck we are working on).

He isn't going to carry obviously, so not too concerned about size right now...

He likes my FDE Glock and FN509. He also likes my 92A1 and my P365 SAS. I have Glock, Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W and a few other brands...one I don't have is H&K. He has shot them all over the years.

What he would want is the FN509 like mine, with the Vortex RMR. That is out of the question cost wise. I got mine for $599 at Cabela's a few years back...easily twice that now. Ain't happening.

Definitely want 9MM. Needs an RMR optic mount. Nice to have FDE but not a dealbreaker. This will be a range gun for practice at our gun club for now.

Any suggestions from the brain trust here?

Tight Lines

Depends on how you've trained him. You would want something reliable thats for sure. I would recommend something with a hammer or safety. Just an extra step before firing.
He's been shooting since he could walk, first single shot .22s, then .22 revolvers...AR since he was maybe 10, deer rifle and shotgun shortly thereafter...most of my weapons the past few years...he has been through Tac Rifle training with me at our gun club...don't get me wrong, he is still young, and always learning, but he knows how to handle weapons...but safety precautions are a good recommendation.

Reactions: Dub

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m of different vain of thought. After a couple years practice this is likely his first carry gun, reliability is critical. I’m bias towards Glocks, reliable, accurate, serviced locally, less widgets to fool with when it counts. Every lever, safety, hammer is another part that can go wrong. There’s a reason so many cops and SOF teams carry Glocks.

Tight Lines

I’m of different vain of thought. After a couple years practice this is likely his first carry gun, reliability is critical. I’m bias towards Glocks, reliable, accurate, serviced locally, less widgets to fool with when it counts. Every lever, safety, hammer is another part that can go wrong. There’s a reason so many cops and SOF teams carry Glocks.
I tend to align with your way of thinking. When he was young, I installed a bright red ambi safety on his AR so I could see it from either side and in low light. He is beyond that now, but still young. But yes, could end up being a carry weapon in the future. Glocks are one of my favorites, hard to beat.

Dub

G19 MOS or G17 MOS would be my suggestion.

The HK VP9 is an amazing gun, too.

I have also had great luck with a pair of P320’s. I know they are in the controversial limelight now, but they work great for me.

CZ makes a very solid polymer, too. It is priced below the Glocks and others. Not sure about them being optic ready ?

I have given my son 1911’s in 9mm & 45 as well as a G19.

He loves shooting the G19 more than anything except my 2011’s.

Tight Lines

G19 MOS or G17 MOS would be my suggestion.

The HK VP9 is an amazing gun, too.

I have also had great luck with a pair of P320’s. I know they are in the controversial limelight now, but they work great for me.

CZ makes a very solid polymer, too. It is priced below the Glocks and others. Not sure about them being optic ready ?

I have given my son 1911’s in 9mm & 45 as well as a G19.

He loves shooting the G19 more than anything except my 2011’s.
He loves my G19 and that VP9 is something I was looking at...never fired one. I want to buy him one that will last...and that is reliable, and useful as he gets older...

georgia_home

A glop is good. And they have a good variety of calibers and frame sizes

A 1911 might be a good alternative. classic and again some difference in the frame size. Even some different caliber available is a classic as well.

there are so many good options out there. It’s gonna be hard to settle on just one difficult to find out what he’ll like without trying many overtime.

Tight Lines

A glop is good. And they have a good variety of calibers and frame sizes

A 1911 might be a good alternative. classic and again some difference in the frame size. Even some different caliber available is a classic as well.

there are so many good options out there. It’s gonna be hard to settle on just one difficult to find out what he’ll like without trying many overtime.
Yeah that's the problem with us gun nuts...so many options, so little time...I have a general sense of what he likes given what he gravitates to of mine...I don't have a 1911 collection like @Dub but that's a good call too...classic, timeless, reliable...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Glock 19MOS, and whatever optic y'all like.

You gotta start him somewhere, it's as good as any, and there will always be a spot in his collection for it...

B. White

Yeah that's the problem with us gun nuts...so many options, so little time...I have a general sense of what he likes given what he gravitates to of mine...I don't have a 1911 collection like @Dub but that's a good call too...classic, timeless, reliable...

That was the comment I was going to add here. You will just find out what everybody else likes with this question, since they don't know him. A fairly inexpensive RIA 10mm 1911 is the one I would keep after owning a handful of styles, if I could only keep one. I shoot it better than the others, good to hunt with and carries well.

Lilly001

The S&W line and the Glocks would fit the bill.
They both offer a plethora of frame , caliber and sighting features.
I have several of both and they all are great guns.

transfixer

Check out the CZp10 series, they come optic ready, the p10c is virtually the same size as a G19, I preferred the p10s as a carry gun, until I got my p365 that is, CZ's have a grip angle closer to a 1911, and have better sights from the factory than Glocks do, they're very ergonomic pistols, and have one of the best triggers of any factory trigger, and many, many aftermarket options for them as well , if they had better marketing and were willing to sell close to cost as Glock does to LE agencies they would take some business away from Glock.

Dub

Now I am going to have to go test one!
Unbelievable ergonomics…three different side plate sizes and three different sized “mainspring” housings will have it feeling like it was molded to your hand.

Great trigger by any standard…..and on a striker gun.

My small VP9 SK ( subcompact G26 size) runs like a bigger gun. Tight groups at fast pace and the optic rides nice and low.

They also make the G19 size, G17 size and G34 size (with compensator). Mag eject button or the Euro type mag release paddle. Some are cut for optics.

I will say this…..and I say this as a long term fan of Glocks….had the VP9 series been released 20 years ago, P320 & the S&W MP stuff would have never bothered coming out and Glocks as we know them wouldn’t exist.

As far as optics go, I am finding myself more and more impressed with the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro model each time I use one. I routinely shoot RMR and Holosuns. The DPP has a great sized window, clear glass, top load battery and excellent shake awake battery saver.

Latest posts