Browning bar mk3 vs safari

Slave601

I’ve been tryin to find a browning bar safari 243 for a while now with no luck. I’ve tried gunbroker and many places and websites. Im about to just settle with the newest version mk3 in 243. I know autos aren’t as accurate as a bolt gun but does anyone have the mk3? I’ve heard from a handful of people that they aren’t as near accurate as the older safari models.

FlipKing

I really wanted one with the oil finish, but I kind ran into the same reviews you have about accuracy concerns.

HughW2

I can’t speak for the new Mk3, but my Mk2 is extremely accurate; as accurate as most quality bolt actions. This is a very average group with very average factory ammo. It will do this regularly with most any 150-165 grain ammo; but it doesn’t do well with 180.IMG_0170.jpeg

Slave601

I can’t speak for the new Mk3, but my Mk2 is extremely accurate; as accurate as most quality bolt actions. This is a very average group with very average factory ammo. It will do this regularly with most any 150-165 grain ammo; but it doesn’t do well with 180.View attachment 1244107
I have several mark2s 30-06, 308, 7mag. All shoot very well

bighonkinjeep

I have the Mk3 DBM. Bought it for a pig rig. It's basically the same.gun as the FNAR (designted marksman rifle) just a little shorter and.lighter and no pistol grip. the dbm version only comes in
Dang thing shoots the lights out with cheap Norma 150gr.
My targets are a little different because Im shooting with an Iray bolt TL35 thermal so my targets are a bullet sized hole in cardboard backed by a handwarmer.
It cores out that hole and makes it just a little bigger each shot until I see a red dot with a black hole in the middle where the cool spot is. A box of 20 goes into about 1 1/2" with nearly all of em under 1" except a flyer or2.
I love the way the semi auto action eats up recoil too.
Unless you just gotta have a .243 the MK3 DBM version comes either wood or synthetic, is light at under 7#, has a fluted barrel, will accept 20 round FNAR mags, is super smooth, really.eats up recoil, hits .30 cal hard with a much wider range of ammo available.
Whatever you decide the MK3 is a really nice rig. If it has a downside i havent found it and it sure aint accuracy related.20221202_193236~2.jpg

Last edited:

HughW2

Most BAR's shoot minute of venison, they were never intended to be target rifles.
Are you sure you aren’t referring to Rem 742 / 7400 jamomatics?
BARs may not be target rifles, but they hold accuracy as well as most sub $1500 bolt rifles.

Gator89

Are you sure you aren’t referring to Rem 742 / 7400 jamomatics?
BARs may not be target rifles, but they hold accuracy as well as most sub $1500 bolt rifles.

Nope, not talking about Remington's, although my old 740 in 308 put venison in my freezer as a starter gun and never once jammed on me. Since it was my father's that 740 still resides in my safe.

I did not say BAR's were not accurate, I said most would shoot minute of venison. That was intended to come across as the minimum amount of accuracy one could expect. There may be some BAR's that shoot MOA.

But to further clarify, the vast majority of BAR's are plenty accurate to hunt with, but I don't expect to see many at a bench rest type, aka target rifle, shooting situation.

Like any other brand, one could stumble upon a dud or a lemon.

Last edited:

fauxferret

I’ve been tryin to find a browning bar safari 243 for a while now with no luck. I’ve tried gunbroker and many places and websites. Im about to just settle with the newest version mk3 in 243. I know autos aren’t as accurate as a bolt gun but does anyone have the mk3? I’ve heard from a handful of people that they aren’t as near accurate as the older safari models.
I've got a MK3 in 308 that I bought for the wife. Tried several brands of ammo and some handloads. Honestly the best i can get it is about 1.5-2 inches at a hundred. I mean good enough for game around south Georgia but you're not pinning the tail on the donkey at 400 though.

Not sure where abouts in the state you are. If you're up north try The Outdoor Depot in Gainesville, Adventure outdoors in Marietta or Barrow automotive in butler. Or at least call them. I can usually find stuff like this at these stores. Albeit some of the older and more obscure stuff is becoming more difficult to find as it becomes more valuable.

Mauser

federal premium sierra gamekings were the most accurate factory load in our BAR’s, one 308,270 win,300 win mag and 2 in 7mm rem mag. Went to American whitetail cause federal premium got too expensive and hard to find. Then started reloading several years ago. My dad had a BAR problem lol. Hate he got rid of the 243 and 06. All made in the 70s. Target rifles no, but all shot 1.5” or better

jfish

Mine like Mauser said. Prob 1" at most but shoots very good for a semi auto. Not a fan of cor lokts but it likes the 150's. You have to shoot a variety to find what one likes if you do not hand load. That is the case with any gun.