Bucking a hide

choctawlb

Caution: Lye whether derived from wood ash or devil in a can is a powerful caustic, and will burn you severely. Use gloves when handling hides once they are soaking. Also use a rubber barrier between you and the hide when scraping, if not the lye water will soak your clothes and burn you.

I decided to scrape the second hide I had soaking in wood ash and water today. I am going to use the two hides to make Alex a pair of brain tan leggings for the Order of the Arrow ceremonies in Boy scouts. Well actually he is gonna get the honor of breaking the hides once they are brained .Here are some photos of the process.

Membrane scraped from flesh side of hide

Hide with epidermus removed in center

Fleshing beam

Hide completely scraped

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Are you using PVC as your table? Great idea!

choctawlb

Yes the fleshing beam is PVC. It works real good because it doesn't dull your scraper, and it doesn't get bad nicks in it like wood, which will cause you to cut your hide while scraping. Your scraper shouldn't be sharp, if you can't run your finger over it without getting cut, then dull it.
Ken

dutchman

I see some brain tan in the making! Good deal, brother!

choctawlb

Soaking time will vary, according to outside temperture, and hide thickness. When you can rub your hand very lightly across the thickest part of the hide( the neck and rump areas) and the hair slips off, the hide is ready to be scraped. I have seen a hide ready in 3 to 4 days during the summer, and in the winter I have seen then take 2 weeks. The hair side of the hide will take on a tawny color and look swollen when it is getting ready.
Ken

choctawlb

Getting me to do dry scrape is like giving a monkey a match in a powder house.:rofl::rofl::rofl: It ain't gonna be good.:cry:
Ken