Buying used diesel (100,000-200,000)

Ol' 30-30

Need a diesel for hauling a load long distances (f250/350, ram 2500/3500, duramax 2500/3500) and in my price range im in the used market. Not an everyday driver (I have a work truck) so it's only on weekends and trips but it will have the kids and wife in there as well (why I would rather have a nicer newer truck). I would rather have a newer high mileage crew cab (2008-20011 ish) but what are the thoughts on buying a diesel with 100,000+ miles on it? I would assume as long as it had maintenance and stay away from work trucks or truck with goose neck or fifth wheel in the bed. Would you stay away from say a 2011 with 150,000 miles? 180,000 pushing it? or shoot closer to 100,000? I'll prob only put 5,000-9,000 miles a year on it for the next 2-4 years then sell it. Looking at all the big 3. I've done a search on here (as well as some diesel gear head forums) and it's all over the place. Most of what they reference are modded out aftermarket trucks. I just want an OEM truck. nothing fancy. thanks in advance!

tr21

I've owned diesels since I was 20 now 50 so I have a little experience with them. at 100k they are just getting broke in. and if you get one a few years old with high miles you know it was driven a lot( which dsls love) keep em on the road they love it, let it sit and you got trouble. I currently have a 2014 dodge ecodiesel that's 8 months old and has 25k on it. if you can find one that you know was maintained well (oil and fuel filters changed) you should be ok with 100-200k.

smokey30725

Got a relative with an F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke with around 350k on it. It's his daily driver and all he's done is the basic maintenance and dealer-recommended work. Says it's the best truck he's ever owned. Don't remember what year, but it was one of the last before they switched to the 6 liter.

kayaker1

Have a diesel mechanic look it over and be choosy on which motor and year you are looking as, all are not created equal. For as many "I've got a ton of miles with no troubles comments there are an equal amount of...I never knew it cost 10k to repair xyz on a diesel.

Sounds like you are not going to drive it much and diesels don't like that. How heavy are you pulling. A 3/4 to gasser might work for you and be a lot cheaper buy in and maintenance. If your not pulling really heavy and not driving much I might think about the gas route...

Troy Butler

There are several on autotrade now one in grayson a 97 dodge with 97k nice truck. I just got one Saturday with 92k. would have gotten the one in grayson one but it is a mega cab, I wanted just a crew cab. I also wanted the old 5.9 motor before all the environmental gadgets were put on.

Ol' 30-30

Great info here. Some very good points. thanks.

I should also admit that i want a diesel...def don't necessarily need one. My biggest thing is I don't want to 1) dread hauling the boat (and subsequently not take it on a trip because of the haul) and 2) i want to feel safe while in tow. Like I said...the hour day trips to the lake are of no concern to me. It's the 5-6 hour interstate haul that I'm worried about. Def not opposed to a gasser since I won't be driving it a huge amount the gas/fuel costs are negligible to me.

T.P.

Banned
200k on a good diesel is not many miles. They are expensive to drive and maintain but they will last forever.