Opening Day and Lifesaving Truck

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Floyd and I had a decent opener on a small sunflower field on the 4th. Sorry no photos of birds, guns and dog. Fortunately I didn't take one of the MuttPak for retrieving because of hot weather or she would have probably been killed. As it was, Floyd rode an ambulance to the hospital 40 miles away and I had the 2016 4Runner flatbedded to my house rather than have it towed at the start of Labor Day Weekend Saturday night to Bubba's Bait, Tackle and Salvage Yard in Okatie, SC where my truck could have been looted by trespassers. Our SKB 20's, doves, and other gear were inside the truck. At highway speeds, a pick-up coming towards us at highway speed, lost control of a trailer which popped off the hitch unloading a concrete mixer into our lane. I had nowhere to drive but forward as the towing truck blocked his lane. Eyewitness accounts said the mixer hit us, sending us airborne, spinning and rolling several times, scattering a few of our doves on the highway. Can't say enough in gratitude PXL_20210905_121822958.MP.jpgabout the bystanders who climbed up and pulled us out through my door. We were lucky to survive and not end up in water on both sides of the narrow blacktop where other car crash victims have drowned. Can't say enough about my loyal truck taking the bullet for us. They are tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries. He has some lingering issues which we hope resolve soon but was released from the ER that night. I had slight abrasions on my left triceps but didn't feel sore Sunday and shot another field Sunday p.m. I had inside the truck an 85 lb. portable Warn 8500 for front and back hitches and power sources behind the second row seats which I had lashed down to the back seat with half-inch rope to prevent it from acting as shrapnel in a wreck. Good thing I did as the inside of the truck looked like a tossed salad. Passenger side of truck is not quite as beat up as driver's side, but still in bad shape.
I was lucky to re-4Runner yesterday with this 2022 TRD Off Road. My old 4-Runner would have wanted me to buy it.
PXL_20210904_224019359.jpgPXL_20210905_121757809.jpg
PXL_20210908_193322329.jpg

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m happy that you escaped that with no injuries. Could have been much more worse for you. Hope Floyd recovers from his injuries quickly.

specialk

Geez almighty!.....forget buying any lotto tickets.....you've used up all your luck for awhile!!

Reactions: GLS

DSGB

Dang! You are both lucky to not have been seriously injured.

Duff

That could have been much worse! Glad you are okay. And I like the new ride!!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Man that was close. Glad everyone survived.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Bad news on the wreck but very good news on the outcome. That could have easily sent both of you on to Glory. Happy to hear that you are both OK.

SC Hunter

Y'all got really lucky! Glad y'all are doing good and thankful no pups were with you!