Calling?

Do you think duck calling is over rated?

I could go in many directions with this.
I'll just wait and see what the opinion's are..

What?
When?
Where and how?

Throw'em out there....

GSURugger

theres always a different "what, when, where, and how" for any given situation...just have to figure it out...and that doesnt mean highballing Georgia woodducks with a single reed...i dont know if i have ever heard a mallard do an actual hail call :hammers::hammers: i like what phil robertson said "a real duck couldn't even PLACE in a Stuttgart calling contest"

91xjgawes

I would say in Ga calling may be over rated. a lot of my hunting buddies will scare the ducks away, i tell em to leave their calls at the house.

Big water i do like to call a good bit.

No need to call if you scout the right spot. IMO

Hummm.. So basically if I'm were the duck's want to be "use a call to turn'em and get'em to cup up" and if no duck's come to the area I'm hunting "No need to scream on the call". Is that right? :huh:

Mark K

Banned
Med man, yes!!! That's like me going in my backyard and trying to call the ducks flying over my house to get them to land in the swimming pool. It ain't gonna happen. I'm not a great caller so I need to be where they want to be. With mediocore calling I can kill ducks. To be honest I've hunted with some GREAT duck callers and I've yet to see them call in ducks that didn't want to be where we were. Just because a duck flys over doesn't mean he wants to be where you are - he may have his sights set on the next swamp/field, and no amount of calling is gonna change his mind.

Calling is important, but ranks second to being where the ducks wanna be!

wingding

Hummm.. So basically if I'm were the duck's want to be "use a call to turn'em and get'em to cup up" and if no duck's come to the area I'm hunting "No need to scream on the call". Is that right? :huh:

I guess I spend to much time scouting and not enough time hunting but it seems to workout for me.:bounce:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I like those Cass Creek e-callers. They sound great and when used in unison with a Primos feeding mallard shaker, you can really wear out those Skeeter Branch mallards.

emusmacker

Yep, way too many people call me when duck season is in!

rholton

If you arent where the ducks either want to be or dont mind being then you are waisting your breath. I really like to work ducks with a call, but you have to know when to shut up. In my opinion, if you are where the ducks want to be and can call even halfway decent then you will kill more ducks then the person who doesnt call...most of the time.