Came home to 81°.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If it is done wrong, then it will be a lifelong lesson learned. :hair:
Yeah I wouldn’t check it like a 9 volt battery. Just had a new unit installed here, man told me 1-3 years for the newer capacitors. All chinesium junk nowadays.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I am sure there will be sticker shock on a new unit. I heard they have more than doubled in price.
Just paid 6k for a 2022, 4 ton. Probably 7k for a 2023.

Lukikus2

I’ve seen lightening fry everything electrical in homes.

What gripes me is back in the day when you had your a/c replaced they ran new duct and it was around $3,500.00. Now all they do is replace the unit and tie into the existing supply for twice that.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good idea. Mine has an outside cutoff by the unit.
Looked like the capacitor was simple swap.
Back when I was on VFD we always sent the cops in first to “secure“ the area on hazmat events. Our blue canaries we called them. Having only the slightest bit of guilt about that, watch the video before you tackle the simple swap. This capacitor is removed, do this before you disconnect the wires on the installed capacitor.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Back when I was on VFD we always sent the cops in first to “secure“ the area on hazmat events. Our blue canaries we called them. Having only slightest bit of guilt about that, watch the video before you tackle the simple swap. This capacitor is removed, do this before you disconnect the wires on the installed capacitor.

Yeah, with my luck I should probably keep paying the service charge. :bounce: :bounce:

HuntingFool

They are easy to discharge before replacing. I always kept a spare on hand and swapped out myself. Back going in a few minutes. My inside unit is not located where I want it in the basement and duct work look like a 3rd grade science project, so I am pulling everything out and replacing. Estimates from 8 different companies, ranging from 18k to 32k. :eek:

K80Shooter

@4HAND And the outcome was?

Deerhead

My ac guy installed a new capacitor three weeks ago. The ac units is still failing to start once every two weeks or so. He is now going to install a hard start kit. Hope that fixes the issue.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
No deaths reported in our county.
Sounds like widespread structural devastation in coastal communities & scattered throughout the counties.
78% of county out of power.
Lots of debris on roads.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
We used to charge capacitors and toss them to our "friends".
After catching just one, the evasive maneuvers they performed were almost as entertaining.

Baroque Brass

Mine didn’t show external failure at all when it failed. I watched the tech test it, it was failed. For the DIY folks, remember the capacitors job is to store power when you go to test it.
Always good to discharge first, they can store voltage but not a lot of current.

Baroque Brass

I’ve been meaning to buy a spare capacitor, I need to go to parts store. The one on my well pump died recently.