Came very, very close to losing my son to a gator today.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Was mullet fishing in the middle of the Oconee River today with my 5 and 12 year old sons.
About 6-8 women came floating by on floats and we made small talk. Oddly enough it turned to gators and they said they hadn't seen any and I told them I hadn't either, but I knew they were in the river, because I had seen them several miles down. They floated on down and my 5 year old was playing in the water just above me. There was a submerged sandbar in the middle of the river. It was about 2-3 foot deep. We were all standing in the water and only had a kayak anchored with us to keep our bait, drinks and supplies in. I happened to look up and saw a BIG gator swimming about 35 yards up river swimming away from us. I told my 5 y/o to come to me. I've never been scared of gators before. It's always been my opinion that if you leave them alone they left you alone, but I wanted my younger son closer just in case.

The gator swam on up the river about another 50 yards and proceeded to do what gators generally do.....just sit there next to the bank. My 12 y/o son decided he wanted to go get some fishing line from the bank so he swam over(about 70 yards opposite bank) got out and got the line and proceeded to jump back in and swim back toward me. I looked up just to check on the gator and he was cutting a wake right toward my son. It was almost surreal how fast that gator was moving. I yelled for him to swim like crazy to me at the kayak and I took off running through the water trying to put myself between the gator and my son, yelling, splashing and waving my arms like a madman. The gator initially paid no attention to me, or didn't notice me and veered toward me as my son got closer. My son reached the kayak and the gator finally noticed me and stopped about 20-25 yards away from us. I picked up rocks and threw, yelled and continued to be as menacing as i could, but it was very hesitant to leave, eventually taking up station about 75 yard up river and on the left bank. Our exit was on the right bank. I had threw my 5 year old in the yak at some point. I don't even remember when, but we were in a pickle. I found myself in the middle of the river with 2 children, 1 kayak, no phone, no one in sight, and no reason to expect anyone, knowing to get out we were gonna have to swim for it. I didn't panic, but there was no good solution. I didn't want to try to swim for it because I had seen how fast that gator could swim and knew there was no way we would make it if it decided to come again, especially with me having to push my 5 y/o son in the kayak while the 12 y/o swam. I thought maybe we could try to wade down the river and come out on a rock shoal so we tried but it kept getting deeper and deeper very quickly so that was a no go. we went back up and positioned ourself in the shallowest water i could find which was rocky but about 2 foot deep. From there I hoped we could go up the river and try to cross. It would move us slightly closer to the gator, but would mean the swim wouldn't be quiet as far. That's what we did. I angled us up the river but away from the gator and got to a point where we wouldn't have to swim about 20 yards. I told my 12 y/o son to SWIM and he made the bank in no time. I check the gator hadn't moved and couldn't see him anymore. I shoved the kayak with my 5 y/o son toward my son on the bank as hard as I could being neck deep in water and quickly caught up to it and steered it to the bank. It was very steep and as soon as the kayak hit the bank i turned it sideways and my 12 y/o grabbed the 5 y/o and got as far up the bank as they could. I waited there chest deep in water until they cleared the top of the bluff and floated with the yak down about 30 yards to where we had put in at. I got out, pulled the yak out and sent the kids to fetch my phone from the truck. I called 911 and asked that the warden be notified. I could see the gator again and Thank God he was on the other side of the river. I just sat and watched him. Pretty sure I couldn't have walked if I wanted to. The Warden called me back in a while and while I was speaking with him the gator came back across the river to our side and settled about 70 yards up stream. Initially I had thought he was 6-8 foot long judging from snout to brow, but seeing him from higher vantage point on the bank, I could see he was probable 8-10 foot, but not super wide. Just as he went behind some flotsam a local gator trapper showed up. I don't know who called him, 911 or the Warden, but the Warden knew him when I told him who had showed up. I got off the phone with the Warden and relayed the story again to him. He said he had seen a 10 footer here before and that from what he had seen recently the gators are very hungry due to low water levels, and that the gator had simple seen my son as an available food source. I had pretty much guessed the same, but it dang sure wasn't any more reassuring. The plan is to try to pattern the gator, catch it and who knows from there. I told him all my life I've respected gators, but not been afraid of them, but that today had changed all that. He said they are apex predators and if you are in the water, or near the water, then you are on the food chain. I guess in theory I've always known that, but today did away with my thinking about it on a theoretical basis. It was real, and if it wasn't for the grace of God we would be dragging the river for my son tonight. I won't be sleeping much tonight, but Thank God it's not because of that.

Last edited:

Stonewall 2

Glad all I well! I can only imagine the fear for your sons! Awesome job keeping your wits about you. Where on the Oconee river?

Hillbilly stalker

Man I'm glad your sons and you are ok. You gotta keep your guard up.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Dang it brother, that coulda been terrible. You kept your head and did good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Keeping your senses about you surely worked in ya`lls favor and saved all of you from a catastrophic event. Never let your guard down anytime you`re in their territory, because nobody on this earth can predict what a gator will do. They are sneaky, fast, and incredibly strong.

I`m thankful this had a good outcome.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I'm glad ya'll are okay, that could've been bad to say the least. I know it is illegal but, I would have ended that gator when we got to safety. It would relocate down stream by current for going after a person. I would've been concerned for others safety as they float that river regularly and wouldn't leave a hungry,man eating,apex predator in the water for them. But thats just me. I'm from the mtns and gators weird me out a little anyway.

Mark K

Banned
Not taking anything away from your experience, but any time you enter the water where gators inhabit then you are always a potential meal, whether it’s fishing or hunting. I ran into an ornery one on our local WMA. Don’t know if she had a nest nearby or what, but it flat let me know I wasn’t welcome in that part of the swamp. Glad your outcome was what it was.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I am VERY THANKFUL that you and your family are OK and I know that this must have scared all of you beyond comprehension.

Thankfully, in my area of Georgia, I don't have anything to worry about as such and I don't plan on visiting the rivers across Georgia such as your locations etc either.

However, I just posted photos on here today of gators that we saw while on our golfing vacation on the golf courses that are located just west of Disney World boundries at Orangelake Resort where we have owned there for the past 31 years now and I always vacation there with my family in Mid-July each year. You surely have to keep a close eye out for them as I surely don't trust any of them.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Thank God for the outcome. Your actions likely prevented the unthinkable.

jbogg

That would be a helpless feeling, and two young kids with you just compounds the stress. Really glad you stayed aware of your surroundings. Not much in the woods gives me the willys, but wading through a waist Deep South Georgia swamp in the dark to get to my hunting spot would be a no go for me.

Glad you worked out a plan that kept you and yours safe. I have always been told that <8’ the gator is more worried about you than you should be about him, BUT, >8’ and definitely >10’ you better keep eyes on him at all times because he knows he can take you.

Big7

The Oracle
Keeping your senses about you surely worked in ya`lls favor and saved all of you from a catastrophic event. Never let your guard down anytime you`re in their territory, because nobody on this earth can predict what a gator will do. They are sneaky, fast, and incredibly strong.

I`m thankful this had a good outcome.

My sentiments EXACTLY. All I can add is, if I'm in gator county, I always carry a pistol if messing around in the water. If I'm in a decent size boat with no intention of swimming, I'll have my little youth model 3" chamber 870 stoked with 3" number 2 buckshot. 18 pellets. I had to kill one at Chickasawhatchee one time about 10 years ago. Some of my buds were hog hunting- it was way to hot for me and a friends son. We found a massive fish kill. The scaled fish were dead and floating. Only the cat's were alive and we were scooping them out with a dip net by the hundreds. Half to three quarters of a pound. Dang gator run at me until he got about 5 yards from me. Then he starts hissing. I figured he was going to charge me, so I shot it one time, right at the bridge of the nose, between the eyes. He didn't move. Soon as I stopped shaking, I was thinking about taking the tail. Then I thought about how much money it would cost me if I got caught.

It was self defense. I would have never shot him had he not charged me. I was really scared.

Glad your situation worked out. I'd carry in gator county if I were you. Especially with kids. Just my 2 cents.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My sentiments EXACTLY. All I can add is, if I'm in gator county, I always carry a pistol if messing around in the water. If I'm in a decent size boat with no intention of swimming, I'll have my little youth model 3" chamber 870 stoked with 3" number 2 buckshot. 18 pellets. I had to kill one at Chickasawhatchee one time about 10 years ago. Some of my buds were hog hunting- it was way to hot for me and a friends son. We found a massive fish kill. The scaled fish were dead and floating. Only the cat's were alive and we were scooping them out with a dip net by the hundreds. Half to three quarters of a pound. Dang gator run at me until he got about 5 yards from me. Then he starts hissing. I figured he was going to charge me, so I shot it one time, right at the bridge of the nose, between the eyes. He didn't move. Soon as I stopped shaking, I was thinking about taking the tail. Then I thought about how much money it would cost me if I got caught.

It was self defense. I would have never shot him had he not charged me. I was really scared.

Glad your situation worked out. I'd carry in gator county if I were you. Especially with kids. Just my 2 cents.

The problem with gators, is that in most cases, by the time you see it, it will be too late. At least in the experiences that I`ve seen. Most of the time they don`t come at their prey on top of the water. They hit from below.

Big7

The Oracle
The problem with gators, is that in most cases, by the time you see it, it will be too late. At least in the experiences that I`ve seen. Most of the time they don`t come at their prey on top of the water. They hit from below.

I hear you. There was very little water. What was there was pooled up. All the fish except cat's were dead. This guy came running from the woods, not water. It was scary. Me and the kid were on a wood bridge. I know they close fast. Bad as I hate it was him or me and the 12 y/o kid. I wasn't out to kill a gator. We had seen a BUNCH of them around. Then it just happened. If I'd had a place to go, I would have. The truck was 20 yards away. I knew we couldn't out run the gator that far.

Big7

The Oracle
And the little pools were only 12-18 inches deep in the channel.