Can my tractor handle this bush hog?

WishboneW

A land owner I know is going to let me use 40 acres to develop a dove field. He has a John Deere HX10 bush hog, 10 feet cutting width I can use instead of my 7 foot bush hog.

I have a Ford 4000 diesel, 52HP at the PTO according to tractordata.com.

Will my tractor be able to handle this bush hog? If so,

I have never used a hydraulic controlled bush hog, how do I hook up and use the hydraulics? Pictures attached.

I have 2 remote couplings, which one should I use?
Which position should the control valve lever be set?
Will my 3 point control then operate the hydraulics on the bush hog?

Appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience!

Ford control valve.JPGFord control valve.JPGFord remotes.JPGjohn deere hx10.JPG

Gator89

The 3 point hitch is not in play when the mower has a tongue that is coupled to the draw bar on your tractor.

Trial and error on the hoses. If the mower deck raises when you move the lever to go down, the hoses are reversed.

A 10 foot mower seems a bit much for a 4000 if the brush, grass, etc. is thick.

Back in the 1970's I mowed with a 10 foot draw bar attached Bush Hog behind a Ford 5000. The 5000 would bog down in really heavy stuff.

Last edited:

sleepr71

I think that is going to be too much mower for the tractor. Unless you creep along in (Low)1st or 2nd gear all the time..which doesn’t help out with saving any time. We also have a 10ft bush hog & If I get into thick stuff with our 110hp tractor..I have to go down to 3rd & 2nd gear..in Low range & raise it up some. Honestly,that 7ft mower is about the Max I’d feel comfortable running on a 50hp tractor.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Probably too much mower, for sure, and maybe a 70+ HP tractor would be needed. You might have an issues with hydraulics as well, because (correct me somebody), John Deere uses their "own" type of hydraulic fitting, which may not mate with yours. Most tractors use a "universal" fitting, but John Deere is special. But I am going from memory from a long time ago.

As far as how to hook things up, there is just one hose, which would be used to lift the mower bed. The weight of the mower, by itself would be used to lower it, so, some trial and error on your part, but it wouldn't be too complicated.

MOTS

That mower is well over 2000lbs +, You'll pull it, and probably stall it down when you engage the PTO. I don't think you'll get the blade speed up enough. Check the mower specs also.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the lever on the back of the valve where the + sign is will control the remotes. The lift lever won't do anything to the remotes.

I pull a 10ft with 70hp, but in thicker fescue or tall stuff, I have to raise it up, or it will bog down. I wouldn't think a 4000 would be enough tractor, but it doesn't cost a lot to hook it up and give it a try.

If the hose ends won't couple up, you can swap out the ends for the 4010-P series for about $15 a hose.

WishboneW

The land owner has a 90 hp Kuboda with an inoperable PTO he is not going to fix.
the land has not been cut in at least 4 years so even with my bush hog. Oi can only use 2nd or 3rd low range. Bet it takes me 2 weeks to cut this place and at least $150 in off road diesel.
there are several of us that will get together with our 40 and 50 hp tractors to plow this spring.
THANKS all for your replies! I am going to stare in December on this

Canuck5

Rent one?

Canuck5

Yeah, I hear you! Would love to use one too, it's just that I always worry about those little unknown surprises that sometimes are hidden on property that I am not used to. I have had to cut about 100 feet of barbed wire out from a bush hog, which wasn't fun. Then there was the "shed" in the front tire.

southernman13

It will handle it no problem. I have a 50hp Kubota and I can pull my 15’ rhino batwing mower with it. It won’t mow like it will on the 4430 Deere I had but it will mow with it no problem

turkeykirk

Bet that would far exceed the cost of the diesel my tractor would use!

I am retired. I love the work.

Would be nice to own one tho

Guy at a tractor show said he charged $750 per day.

WishboneW

Bush Hog says 5hp at the PTO for each foot of bush hog.
My tractor will probably pull it and run it but Sleeper71’s point about time is well taken. All said I will have to try it just out of curiosity.

Likely I will wind up using the 7 foot bush hog tho.