Carson Beck

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hope so. Still waiting to see what Mathis can do.

MudDucker

Staff member
I hope so. Still waiting to see what Mathis can do.

Word on Mathis isn't good at this point. I hope he makes a full recovery, but I hear there are some issues he is still dealing with, but he has been practicing in a non-contact jersey.

James12

I don’t think it matters as Fromm is coming back... or so I think, we’ll see. Any idea when he announces?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I kinda got the impression he wasn't coming back in the post game interview last night.

He made sure he had a good performance last night to shut the doubters up. He'll prolly huddle with his agent and discuss his options first before he makes the call. He's up against some stiff competition though and he might wind up being drafted by a cellar dweller (like the Falcant's) so there's that to consider too.

TinKnocker

Word on Mathis isn't good at this point. I hope he makes a full recovery, but I hear there are some issues he is still dealing with, but he has been practicing in a non-contact jersey.
Interesting. If he ins't "full go" and cannot have contact yet, wonder why they fully dress him out for games? If he's not cleared and definitely cannot play, why wouldn't you use that spot on the bus/plane for someone who CAN play to travel and add depth/value to the roster?

Something doesn't add up.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
He made sure he had a good performance last night to shut the doubters up. He'll prolly huddle with his agent and discuss his options first before he makes the call. He's up against some stiff competition though and he might wind up being drafted by a cellar dweller (like the Falcant's) so there's that to consider too.
Nah. He'll go mid second round. The bucs may be looking for a new QB

BornToHuntAndFish

Another good 'un for UGA recruiting. Looking forward to his Dawg future.

Georgia signed one quarterback during the Early Signing Period in four-star Carson Beck (Jacksonville, Fla./Mandarin). Beck joined the team for bowl practice and is an early enrollee.

Beck ranks as the No. 8 pro-style quarterback per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He's also the nation's No. 204 overall prospect and No. 32 overall recruit in Florida. He chose the Bulldogs over Florida back in March.

MudDucker

Staff member
Interesting. If he ins't "full go" and cannot have contact yet, wonder why they fully dress him out for games? If he's not cleared and definitely cannot play, why wouldn't you use that spot on the bus/plane for someone who CAN play to travel and add depth/value to the roster?

Something doesn't add up.

Well, sometimes you suit guys up to keep them mentally moving forward.

I just repeated what I heard and I hope it is old news.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten

Are you forgetting about the ban the Falcons have on UGA players Lee.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I don't think any of Beck, Mathis, or Bennet end up being the man, bearing someone gets hurt and there is no other option. If Fromm comes back, he is there another year and either the kid from Prince Avenue or the kid for DC comes in 2021 and takes over after that. If Fromm leaves, I think they get a grad transfer to come in and fill the gap next year. If I had to bet money on who it would be, I would say the kid from Houston.

Regardless, I don't think Mathis is ever totally "cleared" to play, Bennett was a walk on originally for a reason, and Beck isn't close talent wise to one of the kids that will likely be coming in behind him. I know everyone was down on Fromm this year, but if he leaves and they don't get transfer (which I obviously believe the will), the QB position will be a huge liability in the 2020 season, even though the receiving corp should be much improved.
I disagree Beck is perfectly OK to fill the void when Fromm leaves(if he goes to NFL). Fromm was a Freshman when Eason got hurt and took us to a NC game!

I said it from the beginning Beck will be the QB as soon as Fromm goes! Too much talent at 6’5” 225 same size as Trevor Lawrence and he also took Clemson to NC Game and won as a Freshman!

ddavis1120

Fromm is the exception and not the rule when it comes to freshman QBs. And honestly he wasn't tasked with a lot; hand the ball to Chubb and Michael and move the chains in third and manageable.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Fromm is the exception and not the rule when it comes to freshman QBs. And honestly he wasn't tasked with a lot; hand the ball to Chubb and Michael and move the chains in third and manageable.

Actually he did a little bit more than hand the ball to Chubb and Michel ::ke: but I get your point. He's still the thinking man's QB and he has the touch in the passing game.

MudDucker

Staff member

Really ... I seem to remember a lot of balls in the air and not just handed off.

However, we had good receivers and when you have backs who are likely to break it o the house on every run, you get different defensive looks that favor the pass.

ddavis1120

If I remember correctly he averaged around seventeen attempts per game during the regular season. Subtract the four or five dump offs to the backs out of the backfield and you are approaching territory not seen since a QB named Buck was around.

Not trying to belittle his contributions but he was not slinging the ball all over the field his freshman year because he didn't have to. He was able to get a win at Notre Dame and had a coming out party against Missou. Neither game was placed upon his shoulders to win though.

But back to the original topic; it is leap of faith to depend on a freshman QB.