Catalpa Tree Questions

Bigbendgyrene

Few years back after buying the property I now live on I planted a good many homestead type trees including two-dozen pecans, eight kieffer pears, couple of fig trees, a mulberry tree, and five catalpa trees.

Two of the catalpa trees are big enough they're actually flowering this year.

20230423_160743.jpg
20230422_114029.jpg

So here are my questions, and greatly appreciate any /all feedback.

1) With my best guess on the trees' height the bigger two are probably about 15' tall now. For those who've had the trees and worms, is that big enough to support worms and survive being stripped of leaves?

2) My next question is if anyone has a reliable enough population to help me seed my trees with some worms (know pupae are better, but guessing tougher to come by). I'm off of 59 very close to Lloyd, FL, on the way to the Wacissa River, Econfina, and St. Marks for any fellows north of me in South Georgia. Don't mind paying for them OR trading some good eats -- harvested 3 bucks and 78 feral hogs last year so got 4 freezers sitting full of ground meat, ribs, quarters, and sausage. (y)

3) If anyone on the forum fishes west of Tallahassee, I've had some friends tell me that some spots along State Road 20 near Lake Talquin are known for having catalpa worms, as well as the Dead Lakes Wewahitchka area. Living about 20 miles east of Tallahassee, I don't get over to the west side much but would drive that way if I knew for sure I could get some worms.

4) Finally, any tips / secrets in general to help get reliable crops be appreciated. For example, know pesticides used in area is a big no-no.

Again, looking forward to learning from those of you who've had the trees and worms before.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Answer to #1 is yes. The trees will be fine.

If any of my trees produced I`d be glad to give you some starter worms but I have too much agricultural spraying around the house to have any. If the tree at our Seminole cabin has any this year, I`ll holler at you.

oldfella1962

Those catalpa trees are great! Those flowers are insane! My grandparents had some big catalpa trees in the park across from their house, and a mulberry tree in their front yard. I went on google "street view" and they aren't there anymore. :(

ryork

Fifteen or so trees at my grandparents home place. Most of the trees are doing fine. Haven’t seen a worm on them in well over a decade. Some of my favorite memories surround those trees and the fishing that came afterwards.

Yelpu1

I have about 15 trees that I planted 15 years ago, they all survive being stripped clean by the worms. I have to fight with the armadillos to have a crop, they devour the grubs.

I have found the best part is the seed production, the deer and Turkey absolutely love them and visit the trees daily until seeds are gone.

I have started a new batch of trees for my farm for some lucky individual in the future.

gabowman

All I did to start worms on my trees were to put a doz or so worms into a quart glass jar. I spaded up a little dirt with the shovel and right before dark I removed the lid of the jar and stuck it upside down on the spaded dirt under the tree. Next morning the worms were gone and the next year I had worms on my tree, and every year afterwards. If you can get enough worms then also put some on your trees.