Central Zone processor.

splinter17

Saturday suddenly cleared up for me and I can actually get to the woods.

Have an active group of bears on our property, but don’t know of a processor in Bibb/Twiggs/Houston County.

Anyone know of one?

BBond

Probably check with the place below and see. I believe they've processed bears from the hunt in the past.

Georgia's Best Processing
  • 8k_Y-oVxbuU.png

1457 Aultman Rd, Fort Valley, GA, United States, Georgia
    Dc7-7AgwkwS.png

(478) 825-7664

chrislibby88

I would have little to no faith in a middle GA generic-grind/cube/sausage processor to do what is necessary with a bear. I do mine myself. Skin/quarter. Save the ribs. Save the fat. Shoulders whole, bone-in for bbq. Be careful around the back edge where the shoulders meets the ribs and make sure you leave the layers of muscle and fat on the ribs. Saw ribs and cut each full rack in half laterally, then again horizontally so they will fit in a crock pot or pressure cooker. Debone the hams into whole roasts. I usually chop at least 1/3 of the hams into stew cubes, and if I want more later I can thaw and cut up a whole roast into stew cubes. Backstraps and tenders whole. They can be treated like the hams, frozen hole and recut later, or you can leave them whole like a prime rib. Debone and stew cube the neck. Save the shanks whole, bone-in for roasts. Save all the fat trimmings to render into oil. I will leave some fat on certain cuts, like the ribs. Try to eat any cut with fat on it within 6-8 months, as the fat will spoil in the freezer faster than lean muscle. YMMV but so far all the bear fat I’ve eaten on the cut has been primo. If you want your fat to be good you MUST get the meat cut and cooled quickly.

My general experience with deer processors around here hasn’t been that great when asking for anything but cube/grind/sausage basic treatment, a few want to make you happy and do a great job, most look at you weird, say fine, then half *** it. If you just want something basic then that’s fine, you are just missing out on a lot of the unique things that bears offer.

Attachments

• 57534137-CEEC-4E40-BD0A-C6C090ABD4B9.jpeg
    57534137-CEEC-4E40-BD0A-C6C090ABD4B9.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: