CFP Expansion (Kind of long winded, 5yrs of data included)

Should the CFP expand to 12 teams?

• Yes, I think it will good for the sport.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's nothing more than a money grab.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I changed my vote after looking at the data provided.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
There's been a lot of discussion scattered around the board about the expansion of the CFP next year. Some factual statement and analysis have been in there and some assumption/presumption. Me being me, I went back 6yrs and collected the data for 5 of those 6, I skipped 2020 because, well.......'Rona, and compiled what was the Top 12 and what it would have been based on the information that has been published on the expansion selection criteria. As we all know the "committee" is fond of juggling data points so some of these may be a little off base, but they will give you all a very good idea of what a 12 team would have looked like in those years and what we can expect going forward next year. The images that follow are the screen grabs of what the Top 12 were (As Played) and what it most likely would have been under the 12 Team scenario for 2017-2022 (minus 2020 because, well, 'Rona). Where I have included W-L record, that denotes a Conference Champion that was left out of the CFP and their record after Conference Championship Saturday. Where there is an asterisk, that denotes the top G5 CC and their record and ranking after CCS.

12 Team 1.PNG
12 Team 2.PNG
Now as you all can see, in 2 of the last 5yrs ('19 #17 Memphis and '22 #19 Tulane) a team not even in the Top 12 would automatically jump to the #6 seed based solely on the fact that they are one of the Top 6 CC. In what world are these teams "worthy" of being included in a playoff? Much discussion has been had here about SoS and "soft" NonCon opponents and these teams play nothing but those teams. On the rare occasion they do step up and take a "payday" game they usually lose and their records and rankings to date reflect that. But now just because they are the "best" G5 team they automatically get ranked #6 and a Home Playoff game??!!! And who really outside of select few of those fan bases wants to see that game? I mean in '17 for instance, your 1st round games would have looked like this. (Some of these may be a LITTLE different as the committee would likely juggle the ranking SPECIFICALLY to avoid a couple of these match ups) (Also I am using what WERE their rankings in that year but would have been different under the 12 team scenario so it may be a little confusing) First you'd have #11 Wash @ #8 USCw (one they'd likely like to have avoided for obvious reasons). Next would have been #10 Miami @ #12 UCF. Next #9 PSU @ #4 Ala (Now this may have intrigued some people). And lastly, #7 Aub @ #6 Wisc (Again, maybe an interesting game to more than just their own fan base). And does anyone really think that ANY of these teams winning these 1st round games have a chance against the Top 4 that get another week to rest while they are beating themselves up playing these 1st round games?

Also, in 2 of the 5yrs ('18 and '21), ND throws a monkey wrench into the works. I am assuming that as a NON CC that they get dropped below the Top 6 (despite being ranked # and #5 respectively in those years), but with these committees it's anybodies guess.

Lastly, in these 5yrs, by conference here are the # of teams that would have made it into the CFP. The ACC had a total of 6 selections of 3 teams (Clem, Pitt and Mia). Next with tied at 8 selections each are the B12 and Pac.( The B12 spread it across 5 teams, TCU, Bay, KSt, OkSt and Ok and the PAC only had 4 different teams, USCw, Utah, Wash and Ore) (Where will these conferences be when Ok and USCw jump conferences next yr and the others rumored to be looking to move as well?) Next is the B1G with 15 selections spread across 5 teams, OSU, ttun, MiSt, PSU and Wisc. And in sole possession of 1st place with a grand total of 16 selections is the MIGHTY SEC. And to add further insult to injury they spread it across 7 teams. Ala, UGA, LSU, UF, The Barn, 10rc and Ole Miss. As a footnote, the G5 would have had 5 selections, mostly from the AAC I assume, I didn't bother to look.

Now to anyone who originally thought this (CFP Expansion) was/is a good idea, do you still feel the same? If so, HOW/WHY???!!!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
You know where I stand on this. It is nothing more than a money grab, same with conference expansion. A 4 team playoff is enough. But, hey, let’s let everybody in the playoffs so they can feel special too.

I’m old school. I don’t mind a little change here and there, if necessary, but most of this stuff going on is ridiculous. Conferences expanding. Playoffs expanding. And of course, the pockets of these big shots expanding.

Leave college football alone!