Champney Island 11-20

across the river

The Champney hunt is not like the Butler hunt. You pick your on spot. First come first serve. I scouted it yesterday and now I know what questions I need to ask to make sure I have the best hunt possible. That was the reason I suggested it. I would be glad to maybe get together with some of the other folks that got picked to if anyone is interested.

Who did you hear that from? I don't think that is right, but if that is indeed the case, then I would agree, scout it. However, I wouldn't worry about scouting it until the week before the hunt. Champney is smaller than Butler, so if it will still be walk in, I don't see how 25 groups of three without drawn blinds is going to improve anything. Good luck though, and let us know how it turns out.

Fenderbuilt27

I called and ask about it. Here are the regs. Notice how Butler talks about stand selection but Champney doesn’t mention it.

Attachments

• 5239A003-6DDB-4CA8-8AB1-B4422357D378.png
    5239A003-6DDB-4CA8-8AB1-B4422357D378.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 26

across the river

I called and ask about it. Here are the regs. Notice how Butler talks about stand selection but Champney doesn’t mention it.

Like I said, if that is the case, then I agree with you, go scout it. I just think that is going to be a cluster. 30 groups on Butler spread out was still way too many people IMO the times I've been, and now you are going to turn 25 groups out on Champney to go wherever. I read they did it to reduce pressure and eliminate "hunter conflict', but I don't really see how cutting everybody loose helps. I hope it works out for you all.

Shad30

They pull trailers out that everyone rides to get dropped off and then picked up at your "blind." Sort of like a hey ride out across the island. A trailer popped off a hitch on one of them several years ago while people were on it. I don't remember all the details, but I seem to remember a guy got hurt.

We were there on that trip. People, dogs, and hunting gear got thrown in 1 of the holes. I believe someones Benneli got messed up. I had a couple friends and family members on that wagon. I was on the wagon in front of them. we saw it happening and went to yelling jump.....only a couple listened. Very lucky the wagon didn't turn over on them.

There’s no way to run Champney the same as Butler. There’s only 3 ponds and a handful of places to get in each one. Not sure if they changed it to reduce pressure, I’ve only ever seen 25 groups in there at once on opening day. My guess is a quota is the only surefire way to monitor harvest number and species composition

across the river

There’s no way to run Champney the same as Butler. There’s only 3 ponds and a handful of places to get in each one. Not sure if they changed it to reduce pressure, I’ve only ever seen 25 groups in there at once on opening day. My guess is a quota is the only surefire way to monitor harvest number and species composition

That was my point. The DNR says the change was done to reduce pressure (see page 8 or 9 in link), yet you are going have a quota of 25, potentially 75 people total, and just turn them loose on a place smaller than Butler where a quota of 25 (used to be thirty) is still too many even with assigned spots. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/d...c Notice_Proposed Hunting Rules 2021–2023.pdf

I misread you, my bad. Interested to see how it turns out too. I sure enjoyed hunting there after the opener crowds dropped off, even if it was a coot shoot half the time. Hope everyone who draws has fun with it.

I live about 10 minutes from Champney and I hunted it several times last year. If someone needs help scouting or a hunting partner let me know. I think a quota hunt for Champney is a bad idea, it usually is not crowded after the first week.

The Fever

The Champney hunt is not like the Butler hunt. You pick your on spot. First come first serve. I scouted it yesterday and now I know what questions I need to ask to make sure I have the best hunt possible. That was the reason I suggested it. I would be glad to maybe get together with some of the other folks that got picked to if anyone is interested.
lol you should know this isn't true. Where there are birds, commanders will concentrate.

gunnerhall

I hunted Champney this past weekend. No blind draw. You can pick your own spot. The water levels were very high (the WMA Manager had no clue what the level was). Saw birds and was able to shoot some. I used a kayak. I would not bring a dog as there are gators. I hope this place doesn't stay a quota hunt. It's the only walk in WMA that waterfowl hunters can go without getting harassed by deer hunters. The Georgia Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers are the only ones who spoke out against it going to quota at the DNR Regional hunt meetings. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at: hall.gunner@gmail.com

I hunted Champney this past weekend. No blind draw. You can pick your own spot. The water levels were very high (the WMA Manager had no clue what the level was). Saw birds and was able to shoot some. I used a kayak. I would not bring a dog as there are gators. I hope this place doesn't stay a quota hunt. It's the only walk in WMA that waterfowl hunters can go without getting harassed by deer hunters. The Georgia Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers are the only ones who spoke out against it going to quota at the DNR Regional hunt meetings. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at: hall.gunner@gmail.com
Totally agree! I even called to complain and was talked to by a very defensive worker. What a mess!

grunter

So here’s my concern with the quota. I’ve been up there and looked at the 3 ponds on champney. One looks good, one looks crappy and the other unhuntable. So if it’s quota 25 and each guy can bring 2 buddies, that’s 75 guys. It’s going to be a mad dash for the good looking pond, you’ll be shining people off and racing to a spot only to have someone still set up “too close”. If you bypass trying to get into the good pond, you hunt the crappy looking and hope something gets pushed off the river and flies by low enough to shoot at. I don’t oppose making it quota but limiting the huntable area isn’t going to help the large number of people in there. I’ve killed some great ducks up there in years past, but that was before it was cool. If y’all come down, good luck, stay out of the ditches

Like I said, if that is the case, then I agree with you, go scout it. I just think that is going to be a cluster. 30 groups on Butler spread out was still way too many people IMO the times I've been, and now you are going to turn 25 groups out on Champney to go wherever. I read they did it to reduce pressure and eliminate "hunter conflict', but I don't really see how cutting everybody loose helps. I hope it works out for you all.
We had Champney last weekend and it SUCKED