Chestnut Oaks

Chuck C

We have a fair population of chestnut oaks on our property and I was curious as to the desireablility of their acorns to deer. I understand that this tree ia a member of the white oak familiy but I have never hunted ander or around them so I have no first hand knowledge of their consumption by whitetails.

The chestnut oaks I have in my backyard are dropping an enormous quantity and all of the acorns are gigantic, the size of medium pecans or bigger.

I was debating making the long(expedition) walk to the far side of my property and checking it out if they are consumed as well as white oaks.

Jeff Phillips

I would make the trip.

Chestnut oak acorns are near the top of the list of preferred acorns.

Meriwether Mike

As soon as the White Oaks are eaten they will head to the Chesnut Oaks. I have seen this first hand on my old Heard lease.

I hunted a tract in Barrow county when I was teenager that had a patch of Chesnut Oaks in the middle of a huge hay field. The deer would come across that hay field in broad daylight to get to that food source. We took a buch of deer off of that spot.

I would definately make the trip.

Timberman

chestnut oaks.

I am assuming you are referring to swamp chesnut oaks, which is as palatable as white oak. True chestnut oak makes very large acorns that are very bitter. It is an upland poor ground species.They are last in line as far as palatability, and usually are utilized after all others are gone. :)

Timberman,

Aren't swamp chestnut oak acorns much larger than white oaks also? I have a few stands in what I believe to be swamp chestnut oaks. The bark looks like a white oak, the leaves are oval with ridged edges, and the acorns are large. Are these swamp chestnut oak and a good place to hunt?

Arrow Flinger

Timberman said:
I am assuming you are referring to swamp chesnut oaks, which is as palatable as white oak. True chestnut oak makes very large acorns that are very bitter. It is an upland poor ground species.They are last in line as far as palatability, and usually are utilized after all others are gone. :)

I am glad you straightened that out. I was starting to think I was crazy! The deer I hunt will not touch Chestnut oak acorns and they rot on the ground every year they make.

Chuck C

I assume they are true Chesnut Oaks...
Poor soil, ridge tops, HUGE acorns.

Anyone got pictures to compare?

Don't know for sure

But a swamp chesnut oak.:) Now I would rather hunt around them than a white oak. I have never seen much activity aound the chesnut oak in my yard. But the swamp chesnut is much larger and sweater. It looks more like a really fat white oak acorn. The only place I have ever seen a swamp chesnut is where it is wet.

E

early riser

Tommy, we checked a few Swamp Chestnut Oaks at Crabapple this past weekend. Something is eating them. I found "ONE" fresh green chestnut acorn on the ground, lots of hulls, so they are going somewhere. Those darn things are HUGE!

Back when we did our Forest Stewardship plan, Eric Durracq with the Dept of Natural Resources mentioned the Chestnut was an important tree for deer and said we were blessed to have as many as we did and to keep an eye on those trees for their wildlife food potential.

I haven't witnessed deer feeding on them, but they sure are dissapearing when they hit the ground.

e.r.

E

early riser

"Good seed crops occur at intervals of 3-5 years with poor to fair production in between".

Guess I haven't yet seen a good drop of a Swamp Chestnut, but I wouldn't want to set up underneath a tree that is having a heavy drop. The acorns we picked up must have been 1.1/2-2" round.

e.r.

Tommy

There is a swamp white oak and a swamp chesnut. I have never seen a swamp white oak acorn. But in about 20 years I should be able to take you a picture. I purchased both from the Georgia Forestry 2 years ago. Their leaves are different, one has a sort of a fat saw tooth leaf and the other has rounded lobes.

Prefered by deer: I have hunted white oaks with lots of success. But when the swamp chesnuts are falling. Man there aint nothing better to hunt around. And No you won't see many on the ground unless there is a bunker year. The deer will eat them as quick as they fall. They will make a bunker crop about every 7 years. With a good crop about every 3 to 4.

ER we had some guys that used to wear hard hats when they were falling. I had one hit me right in the top of the head one time that liked to have knocked me out.:eek:

Last edited:

coastga

According to the book "Native Trees of Georgia" That is put out by the Georgia Forrestry Commission the difference between the chestnut oak and Swamp chestnut oak is that the leaves are wider on the Swamp Chestnut oak. The leaves on the swamp chestnut oak are between 2 3/4 to 4 1/4 inches wide while the chestnut oak is between 1 1/2 to 3 inches wide. Both are white oaks and have the same size acorns.

Danny_GA

There was a thread last year on the chestnut oak versus the swamp chestnut. After reading the thread I went out determined that the oaks on my place were chestnut oaks. I too have heard that the chestnut oak acorn is bitter and not preferred.

However, I took a doe this week on our place and when I opened her up she was full of chesnut oak acorns. On the same hilltop and surrounding creek bottom there are water oak, southern red oak, and yes white oak acorns on the ground.

I guess there is always a general rule to follow, but each deer has their own preference.