Christian men called to become 'warriors', not 'nice guys'

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
The New Zealand Herald ^ | 26 January 2005 | Nigel Hunt

LOS ANGELES - Movies like "Braveheart" and "Legends of the Fall" are on the viewing list for men in a growing Christian movement that calls for them to throw off their "nice guy" personas and emulate warriors.

The book which inspired the movement, John Eldredge's "Wild at Heart," has already sold 1.5 million copies in English and been translated into 16 languages, most recently Korean.

Eldredge believes many Christian men have become bored, "really nice guys" and invites them to rediscover passion by viewing their life's mission as having a battle to fight, an adventure to live and a beauty to rescue.

"The modern era has brought up immense conveniences but at what price. The human heart is desperate for something more than a quicker serving of popcorn," Eldredge said in a recent interview.

Eldredge calls on men to be prepared to take risks and rediscover their dreams but does not provide a specific route to find, for example, an adventure to live. Career, marriage and family become heroic quests rather than chains which bind.

He focuses on how men can become less passive and "engage" those around them, particularly their wives and children.

"The guy who sits in front of the television is unengaged. That man is a bad man. They (children) need engagement whether it is playing on the floor with your 1-year-old or tougher games when they are 15 (years old)," he said.

Eldredge said he has been astounded by the response to his book with momentum gathering steadily since the book was published in 2001 by Christian publisher Thomas Nelson.

Men have been flocking to retreats and forming small groups to study it. Some are organized by Eldredge and his team, but many are just informally arranged by readers of the book. These groups have sprung up as far away Kazakhstan and even among tribes along the Amazon River in South America.

"It has become something of a grass-roots wildfire," Eldredge said.

Jim Chase, an advertising copywriter from La Crescenta, California, has had a replica of the sword actor Mel Gibson used when he played legendary Scottish warrior William Wallace in "Braveheart" hanging above his desk since attending a Wild at Heart retreat with 350 other men last year.

"It is just a reminder that we are in a battle every day. It can be just facing boredom and routine, but it is a battle," Chase said.

"Life isn't just about going to work and sitting in front of a computer and bringing in as much money as you can. We all have a story. God has written a story and we are meant to find out what the story is and live it," Chase said.

He said, for example, that the book inspired him to teach his 15-year-old son to ride a motorcycle.

Eldredge, who is a trained counselor and worked for 13 years for Christian organization Focus on the Family, said we are currently living in a "fatherless age" with many men having abandoned their children if not physically then emotionally.

His own father was an alcoholic who after some good years when Eldredge was young became increasingly distant. Chase had lost his father, who he described as "very cold," just a few months before he attended the retreat.

"A lot of what it brings out is how much you are impacted by your own father. What role model he set for you and how God relates to us as the big father," Chase said.

Eldredge said he used characters such as Mel Gibson's warrior Wallace in "Braveheart" because the characters often embody men who are engaging their passions by fighting noble battles, rescuing women and finding adventure.

CHRISTIAN CRITICS

The movement has stirred controversy, attracting criticism from some Christian leaders who fear he may just be reinforcing stereotypes.

While some women have welcomed suddenly receiving flowers and more attention from their husbands, in the long-term there are concerns about the impact on marriages.

"The basic premise that men need a princess to rescue has set back male female relationship in the church by 30 years. He sanctifies a mythological view of 1950s malehood," said Chapman Clark, associate professor of youth, family, and culture at Fuller Seminary in Pasadena, California.

"It is destructive (to marriages) in the long-term," Clark said, adding that treating women as a figurine rather that the personal image of God will hurt relationships over time.

Clark said Eldredge had tapped into an angst among middle-aged white men who are dissatisfied with their lives and for whom depression had become a very serious problem.

Eldredge acknowledged the movement would be judged based on the impact it has on family life.

"The real test of this ("Wild at Heart") is does it make life better for women? Does it make life better for children? We have received letters from women who are immensely grateful. Marriages have been restored," Eldredge said.

- REUTERS

BANDERSNATCH

Great book. Read it twice. Especially liked the poem 'The Goodly Fere'.

"No capon priest was the Goodly Fere but a Man 'o men was HE!" :)

Bandy

sweet 16

Upcoming award show

I agree. Something I just heard about was Passion of the Christ wouldn't be considered. I think last I heard it sold 300 million worldwide. The U.S. has protected Israel and jewish rights for the last 100 years. The Hollywood power brokers wouldn't even go review it. They are the first to say we have rights to show what we want to. Does anyone have any thoughts on Hollywood?

Dudley Do-Wrong

"The basic premise that men need a princess to rescue has set back male female relationship in the church by 30 years. He sanctifies a mythological view of 1950s malehood," said Chapman Clark, associate professor of youth, family, and culture at Fuller Seminary in Pasadena, California.

Going back to the 50's, what's wrong with "traditional" values? Seems to me that we need to go back to the 50's and maybe we could get the 60's right this time.

"It is destructive (to marriages) in the long-term," Clark said, adding that treating women as a figurine rather that the personal image of God will hurt relationships over time.

Paul says we are to love our wives as Christ loves the church. Nuf said.

hpostelle

We are to die to self everyday. When we do that we become a willing vessel for Christ to use and to show his love both at home to the wife and children and to a lost and dying world.

Mrbowdeadly

Hpostelle,
I don't know if you are really smart or from another country, but I can't ever understand what you say. Call me dumb, but will you explain what you just wrote?

Thanks,
MBD

Hunting Teacher

hpostelle said:
We are to die to self everyday. When we do that we become a willing vessel for Christ to use and to show his love both at home to the wife and children and to a lost and dying world.
hpostelle,
Nothing else needs to be added to that! :clap:
Teach

PWalls

Mrbowdeadly said:
Hpostelle,
I don't know if you are really smart or from another country, but I can't ever understand what you say. Call me dumb, but will you explain what you just wrote?

Thanks,
MBD

How very true and how very hard to do.

Once we quit putting our needs and our priorities ahead of God's, then he can use us to do the work he has always planned for us to do. That is so hard to do though.

Chuck Martin

Wild At Heart

I've read it ...........a bunch and led our Mens Group through the study. It's more than a movement it's about getting back to knowing the Fathers Heart and releasing the Kingdom as He intended through the example of Christ. Christ was a mans man as illustrated by his continueous examples of compassion on the sick, needy, lost, poor, etc..........but also in the way He held the religious leaders of the day to accountabality. He trashed the Temple when they turned it into something it wasn't intended to be, called others down in love and gave His all for those He loved........us. What greater example of a Man can you ask for, I just pray that I can emulate Him to the degree that He desires.

Eshad

Mrbowdeadly said:
Hpostelle,

Thanks,
MBD

Hey MrBow, not sure if anyone ever answered your question or not.
"We are to die to self everyday. When we do that we become a willing vessel for Christ to use and to show his love both at home to the wife and children and to a lost and dying world"

By "dying to self", we put aside our personal wants or issues, and focus on serving Jesus. Same with the vessel. A pitcher that is empty cannot give anything. But a pitcher filled with water, can provide refreshment for people in need. When we empty ourselves, and invite Christ do come in and live in our heart, we become the pitcher so we can share Christ with others. Hope that made sense!

southernclay

I am reading this book right now and I love it so far. I've been thinking about things a lot lately and this book has been a help already, I've got the field manual also but haven't looked at it yet.

Zack attack

Amen

I'm a youth minister major at boyce college (The undergrad program of souther baptist theological seminary). I spend about ten hours a week with youth, especialy teenage boys, and about another twenty hours a week studying about them. I think Eldridge has a great point. Most of these boys are pansies and need a man in there life to show them how to act. I am glad that my dad refused to raise me up as the rest of the world. He instilled manhood into me at a very early age. I think it is time that we take a stand and get back to our wildhearts.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Wild At Heart...

Was my best read all last year! I bought a copy for both of my sons, my daughter, my two daughters-in-law, and my son-in-law -- And, my wife read it as well... It's the best insight into understanding how God created a man different, and what makes men tick... I'd recommend the book as a must read...