Christmas Time Eats

ryork

Our first Christmas since moving to lovely Tallapoosa aka Possum Snout GA. I've never really had a true "neighbor" in terms of proximity in my life until we moved here in Sept. Had plenty of folks I considered neighbors even though they were down the road a piece so to speak..... We're eventually going to build somewhere but were just really attracted to this historic eclectic little place. Collectively the nicest, most genuine, and giving bunch of folks you could ask for. Our house is close to 80 yrs old and most of the homes surrounding ours are in the 1875-1890 era. They do a lot of neat stuff here and one of those are Christmas Eve luminaries. Before dark, a couple of trucks and a bunch of folks start coming down the street setting these things out and then turn around and come back and start lighting them. Once complete, the streets included form a perfect cross if viewed from above, now how cool is that??? After 2018 and most of this year, I'm ready for 2020, but I feel so good about where we're at and I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve. After May of this year, my whole perspective is different than before.

As for the food, my wife has done most of the cooking this holiday season. That cold raw nasty Sunday I made some 15 Bean Soup with Conecuh sausage. For Christmas Eve we had Honeybaked Ham, green beans and roasted new potatoes all compliments of Mrs. York. This morning I did a full breakfast on the Blackstone. Had some leftover ham for sammiches today completed with some arugula from the yard and a sauce concoction consisting of mayo, creole mustard, hot sauce, w'shire sauce, lemon juice, horseradish and garlic I threw together. I had three of them...

For gifts my son got a banjo and a banjitar or guit-jo (my daughter is playing that in the pic), and my daughter got a mandolin. Within 10 minutes of getting them they were sitting on the couch playing dueling banjos....... no idea where they got that from, not from the wife or I for sure. Just kills me because I have to try so hard for so long for what they can just pick up and play.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and very happy New Year and that 2020 brings great things for you!
12-25 (2).jpg12-25 (3).jpg12-25 (7).jpg12-25 (8).jpg12-25 (9).jpg12-25 (10).jpg12-25 (4).jpg12-25 (6).jpg12-25 (5).jpg12-25 (12).jpg

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome!
I play guitar & my son was learning & catching on quick. Even learning slide guitar.
That's taken the back burner to basketball the last couple of years. I hope he will get back interested in guitar, but I'm not gonna push it.
I was looking forward to him joining our church musicians. Really would be cool having him up there with me.
Maybe he'll get back into it.

pop pop jones

That's awesome!
I play guitar & my son was learning & catching on quick. Even learning slide guitar.
That's taken the back burner to basketball the last couple of years. I hope he will get back interested in guitar, but I'm not gonna push it.
I was looking forward to him joining our church musicians. Really would be cool having him up there with me.
Maybe he'll get back into it.
Just my 2 cents worth. I played baseball and basketball myself as a kid. Never wanted to spend time with learning to play music. After I was grown and to old and slow to play ball, it is such a loss, just having to listen to someone else play music.

pop pop jones

Our first Christmas since moving to lovely Tallapoosa aka Possum Snout GA. I've never really had a true "neighbor" in terms of proximity in my life until we moved here in Sept. Had plenty of folks I considered neighbors even though they were down the road a piece so to speak..... We're eventually going to build somewhere but were just really attracted to this historic eclectic little place. Collectively the nicest, most genuine, and giving bunch of folks you could ask for. Our house is close to 80 yrs old and most of the homes surrounding ours are in the 1875-1890 era. They do a lot of neat stuff here and one of those are Christmas Eve luminaries. Before dark, a couple of trucks and a bunch of folks start coming down the street setting these things out and then turn around and come back and start lighting them. Once complete, the streets included form a perfect cross if viewed from above, now how cool is that??? After 2018 and most of this year, I'm ready for 2020, but I feel so good about where we're at and I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve. After May of this year, my whole perspective is different than before.

As for the food, my wife has done most of the cooking this holiday season. That cold raw nasty Sunday I made some 15 Bean Soup with Conecuh sausage. For Christmas Eve we had Honeybaked Ham, green beans and roasted new potatoes all compliments of Mrs. York. This morning I did a full breakfast on the Blackstone. Had some leftover ham for sammiches today completed with some arugula from the yard and a sauce concoction consisting of mayo, creole mustard, hot sauce, w'shire sauce, lemon juice, horseradish and garlic I threw together. I had three of them...

For gifts my son got a banjo and a banjitar or guit-jo (my daughter is playing that in the pic), and my daughter got a mandolin. Within 10 minutes of getting them they were sitting on the couch playing dueling banjos....... no idea where they got that from, not from the wife or I for sure. Just kills me because I have to try so hard for so long for what they can just pick up and play.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and very happy New Year and that 2020 brings great things for you!
View attachment 996750View attachment 996751View attachment 996752View attachment 996753View attachment 996754View attachment 996755View attachment 996756View attachment 996757View attachment 996758View attachment 996759
Sir you are a lucky man, and a fine person. It shows how much family means in the York household. Your a decent cook too.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I think he'll get back into it. I just don't want to push him too much.
I want him to do it because he wants to, not because I want him to.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Stuff and good eats ryork!!!!

ryork

Just my 2 cents worth. I played baseball and basketball myself as a kid. Never wanted to spend time with learning to play music. After I was grown and to old and slow to play ball, it is such a loss, just having to listen to someone else play music.

I feel the same way!

ryork

I think he'll get back into it. I just don't want to push him too much.
I want him to do it because he wants to, not because I want him to.

Yep! Seen too many young folks get pushed and prodded and forced into stuff only to make them miserable. Our son is going to Nashville summer of 2020, looking to do the engineering and production side of things and maybe some session recording type stuff. Will do that in between finishing up his degree. If it has strings he can make a great sound come from it...... drives me crazy!!!! My daughter has a lot of that too except she’s more geared towards the piano.