Clearfield Sunflower Cadre question

I could use some advice on Cadre postemergence in Clearfield sunflowers. Sunflowers germinated maybe 10 days ago and now have two true leaves. Pre-emergent Dual Magnum used, and while weeds are not heavy, they include some Sicklepod (coffee weed) and some are maybe 2 inches. Cadre directions say spray weeds before 2-3 inches but yet some people say they don’t spray Cadre until sunflowers like 6 inches tall. If I wait until flowers that big the weeds will be well past 2-3 inches. Also there is mention of maybe needing rain soon after Cadre but rain low probability next week and may need to spray sooner rather than later? Seems like a dilemma?
Any advice appreciated.

basstrkr

My little experience with Cadre is to let the sunflowers grow a little more and then spray. (with right mixture). You may need to spray again as late as you can before the sunflowers get too tall.
Last year is sprayed Cadre two weeks before planting as a pre emergent it worked really well.
If you get rain in the next two/three weeks you should be fine.

My little experience with Cadre is to let the sunflowers grow a little more and then spray. (with right mixture). You may need to spray again as late as you can before the sunflowers get too tall.
Last year is sprayed Cadre two weeks before planting as a pre emergent it worked really well.
If you get rain in the next two/three weeks you should be fine.
Ok thanks. So it sounds like the Cadre may be as good as a pre emergent as post? And it won’t hurt the flowers to hit them again with Cadre a second time later on?

basstrkr

That's my experience. Can't remember the mixture but is important. Some of the sunflowers may get a little yellow on the leaves but that's normal. I have small tractor so I have to spray second time at about 18 inches.

basstrkr

My pre emergent definition: I had harrowed in the winter. In late April the field was lightly cover with small grass and nutsedge. I sprayed 4oz of Cadre per acre. My little sprayer will cover about an acre with 20 gallons of water. Waited 2 weeks to plant at which time vegetation was mostly dead.

My pre emergent definition: I had harrowed in the winter. In late April the field was lightly cover with small grass and nutsedge. I sprayed 4oz of Cadre per acre. My little sprayer will cover about an acre with 20 gallons of water. Waited 2 weeks to plant at which time vegetation was mostly dead.
Sounds good. That’s pretty much all I have is a three point lift older herbicide rig. Actually, has the boom poles that can be folded out to a total of about 20 feet, however there’s a lot of bouncing around and if you need less than or more than 20 feet, it’s not the right coverage. Added at the rear, an extra rubber hose, and a Hamilton boomless nozzle. Can turn off the valve to the boom poles and switch over to the Hamilton nozzle, which has a reversible plate that can either allow spray all the way across or just half in one direction. The Hamilton works well if plants are too tall to ride over the top and can spray in from each side. The Dual Magnum has been a little disappointing as it will not kill weeds once they pop through and often there are some already in germination process right at surface when sprayed that emerge within a week of Dual. Reduced but not clean.

duckhunter2010

I have been using Spartan Charge for several years as a pre emerge and used Prowl before that mixed with Cadre. Cadre can be sprayed up to 4 times in a season if you use the right rate but just remember that it has a very extended residual. I typically spray twice, once with Spartan for pre emerge, once more right when the flowers are almost too tall to get over with a tractor. I usually plant 30-45 acres a year with this method and haven’t had any issues.

I have been using Spartan Charge for several years as a pre emerge and used Prowl before that mixed with Cadre. Cadre can be sprayed up to 4 times in a season if you use the right rate but just remember that it has a very extended residual. I typically spray twice, once with Spartan for pre emerge, once more right when the flowers are almost too tall to get over with a tractor. I usually plant 30-45 acres a year with this method and haven’t had any issues.
Makes sense. If I can ask, when you mentioned the right rate, All that I see in the literature is 4 ounces per acre which if using 20 gallons per acre would be .20 ounces per gallon rate? But they also seem to suggest a max annual rate of 4 Oz per acre? If so, then are you applying a lesser amount than 4 Oz per acre each time if doing multiple sprays?