Coin Collectors?

Double Barrel BB

Any Old Money Collectors Out there?

My dad just recently passed away and he gave me a couple indian head pennies, from the early and mid 1800's. Several original buffalo nickles, a hand full of half dollars from the mid 1900's, Some $2 bills, Japanese War Bonds, a 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar, a few hundred Wheatback pennies, a handful of 1943 steel pennies, some early 1900 quarters, and alot more.

Does anyone know where I might could get these appraised? I live in Monticello, GA, about halfway between Macon and Atlanta.

Thanks
DB BB

bucktail

I collect coins, not as much now as I did when I was younger. Do you have a larger number of coins? I would take an inventory of all the dates and mint marks (the little letter somewhere on the coin). Next, you can look online for prices but, I have always found it easier to go buy a price guide in one of the coin magazines. Not very expensive, it just a monthly periodical. Then go through and see what your coins cost. The hardest part is grading a coin. Chances are you don't have coins in mint state, the most expensive. The easiest way to pick a mint state coin is to look at a brand new penny you just got, one that is really shiny and looks fresh off the press. That coin Might be considered mint state.

One reason I say this is that chances are the collection was assembled from circulated coins. This would make there value less, only there monetary value, there sentimental value is still priceless. However, one never knows if there is truly a rare coin in any lot. And your Dad may have had one.

The second reason is that all coin dealers are shysters and will take advantage of anyone if they see the chance. Also a dealer will not buy coins at there stated value. For example if a coin has a stated value of $10, the dealer may be willing to only pay $5 or less for it. They will also grade a coin lower buying it than they would to sell the coin.

Go through them all yourself. If you do find some that you think are rare and have a considerable value even in low grades you can email me a picture and I can help you out with what I think it may be worth. Then if the collection is really worth something you may want to insure it. I never sell coins that I inherit or are given by relatives. My favorite one is an old beat up Franklin Half that's not worth very much but, my granddad gave it to me as a boy. That makes it priceless!

Justin

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry about your loss, but I hope you were able to find out about the coins' values. I have a collection, but have not been "active' with it for years.
Sue