compact pickup truck vs utv

outdoorman

I've been thiniking about getting a utv like polaris ranger or honda pioneer for use on my small hunting property. My honda recon gets me around but unable to carry much or a passenger. Has anyone else used a small pickup for hunting orfarm chores in place of a utv?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I used a 72 Toyota FJ-40 for years before I got a UTV. I was very happy with it. The biggest problem with a PU will be turning radius and this wouldn't be a problem in open country.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I use a '98 Toyota Tacoma single cab and a Polaris Ranger. Depends on where I'm going. Can't see being without either one.

I hunt, fish, and trap a good bit within a few miles of the house. The Ranger gets used almost daily.

Little truck gets used more during deer season.

outdoorman

I'm thinking a used single cab small pu truck can get me anywhere I want to haul stuff on the property. All the firebreak roads loops back around so no need to turnaround anywhere.

B. White

Lots of questions to consider, if it were me deciding.

1) You already have a recon. How often do you need to haul a passenger or a lot of stuff? I have a 2002 recon that got me by for years. I would occasionally drop somebody off when hunting, but not enough to need a UTV. I wouldn't want to go a long ways or on rough terrain, but on good roads we managed with somebody on the back and a stand in the back rack.

2) What are you hauling the recon with? Will it already access most of the area? I used to load the trailer with it and the truck with seed/fertilizer and move the truck as needed, so I was never a real long way from the truck.

3) Is it your property or a lease? If it is a lease and others have rangers and such, is there other equipment you can contribute to and share that is less than the cost of a truck, if you all have a good relationship?

4) How good are the roads, both roadbed and limbs on the side? How much extra maintenance would be required cutting trees and limbs back every year with a chain saw and pole saw to get a truck through? It grows fast.

5) Insurance, tag, tax, maintenance costs for a truck.

6) Cost of a used ranger vs. used trucks. Used vehicles are crazy high. Rangers may be as well, but a 500 will probably do everything you need and will be cheaper than the over priced big ones out there.

7) Efficiency- I've been through two small trucks (S10s) and an S10 blazer in my life before there were lots of ATV/UTV options. The 4wd blazer did ok other than maneuvering, but with a lot of miles it was not the most dependable. The pickups were 2wd and too light for good traction down most logging roads I ever needed to go down, which had a lot of clay. Got out of some sticky situations in GA and AL after a big downpour, but barely.

I had always said I would buy an old jeep or only use the tractor around the house, but my wife wanted a ranger and I got a pretty good deal on a little 500. I've taken it to some places I used to take the recon that were washed out bad and no way a small truck would go without tearing up the road or the truck. The little ranger handles much better without beating me to death. I probably wouldn't talk myself into either, if only for hunting and I had pretty good roads and already had a recon, but we haul water, fertilizer tools and other stuff around the house a lot and it does a good job without tearing up the yard.