Coon hunting

jsa1281

My boy is wanting to get into coon hunting. He’s 9 years old. Does anyone on here coonhunt or no anyone that does. We live in the west ga area. We hoping to get him a Walker pup within a month or so but I’d like to find someone to go with before then.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
My boy is wanting to get into coon hunting. He’s 9 years old. Does anyone on here coonhunt or no anyone that does. We live in the west ga area. We hoping to get him a Walker pup within a month or so but I’d like to find someone to go with before then.
At 9 years old, y'all better be dang sure him and you are ready for a coon dog. (mostly you) They can be ok pets, but most will get gone in the blink of an eye, day or night. I'd find someone to go with once a week or 2 and see if it's something thsts gonna stick. It's a pretty big commitment. You'll likely need a tracking collar and receiver and shock collar. That's around 1000 or up. I'd find a "can we tag along" fellow for a yr or so before I jumped in with both feet into the coon dog world.

Hillbilly stalker

I would highly suggest you get ahold of your local coon club via Facebook, Vets office or just look for a truck at the feed store with a dog box in it. Most coon hunters are great folks and nothing thrills them more that being able to introduce a youngster to the sport. Our club meets first Thursday of the month, have a cook out or pig picken or bbq and fellowship. A,it if other clubs work the same way. You will meet all kinds of people and be exposed to different dogs and different styles of hunting. You need to know your options before diving in head first. You’ll see the difference between a country coon dog versus a competition dog. You will learn all about it for just your gas money. You will make some contacts for gear and or a dog. They love to take people with them most of the time. I’ve seen some mighty fine cur coon dogs too, do t count them out. A Stephens cur is open on the track almost as much as some hounds. A good cur dog can hunt smaller patches of woods, you don’t have to have a 1000 acres to turn him loose on. That gives you more options on where you can hunt.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m in Troup co and don’t have any dogs but do have a couple friends that do . If you are close let me know , I’m sure they wouldn’t mind taking y’all through a few swamps !

jsa1281

We live in Haralson county. I’d thought about the whole puppy versus grown dog already but I want him to have the whole experience like I did when I was younger. We have a few places to go hunt around where we live thankfully so keeping him active hopefully won’t be a problem.

Latest posts