Could use some input: which bow to keep?

Bow Decision

• Keep the V3, Sell the XT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the XT, Sell the V3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ASH556

I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my bows and could use some insight. For some background: I've only owned a few bows since 2007. The first was an AR32 that I bought on closeout from American Archery in Lilburn when they were shutting down. I shot that bow until 2020 when I picked up a Mathews Vertix as a "leftover" right before they launched the V3. I shot one buck with that bow, and it was a huge upgrade over the AR in terms of speed and sound, but I didn't really care for it. In January 2021 I picked up a new V3 31. I kind of bought the whole package and set it up exactly like I wanted it: Mathews Flatline stabilizer, Engage Limb Legs, SCS system, Spot Hogg Fast Eddie Sight, QAD rest, Mathews Quiver, Mathews Case, etc. I enjoy the "package" element and since I bought it new, I've got the lifetime warranty. I also just put a new set of GAS strings on it and I have both 70lb 85% mods and 60lb 80% mods for it with the idea that come hunting season I put on 70lb mods, but in the off season I can save my shoulders a bit. I've killed deer with it with both 70lb and 60lb mods on.

Last fall I began to wonder about the Switchback XT. I'd wanted one when I originally bought my AR32, but couldn't afford it at the time. Considering the reputation that a bow that old still carried, I had to try one, so I found one on Ebay and set it up sort of "period correct" with an older Spot Hogg 5 pin Real Deal sight, older QAD rest, and I even found a new-old-stock Limbsaver modular stabilizer. I took it hunting with some old Muzzy 3 blade broadheads and killed my best bow buck with it.

I shot the Gainesville 3D shoot with the Switchback XT last month and had a great time. I shot it side by side yesterday with my V3 and still can't believe how quiet the XT is even being set at 70lb compared to the V3 at 60lb.

I think if I'd bought the XT new and had the warranty for it, the decision would be easy. In the back of my mind, the XT is an almost 20 year old bow and while Mathews still makes parts for it, those parts are expensive and limbs are only available black.

I could keep both I guess, it's not really hurting anything, but I tend to be somewhat of a minimalist and it always bugs me to have something sitting around that I'm not using. I so much prefer hunting with and shooting the XT. The V3 isn't bad by any means, but the XT just has that "it" for me.

Objectively, the V3 has way more going for it: whole package, warranty, flexibility with mods, newer technology, etc. So from that perspective, the XT should be the one to go down the road.

If you were me, which would you stick with and which would you sell?

Kris87

I'd keep the V3 if you can only keep one. Obvious choice is to keep both so you always have a backup. I keep anywhere from 3-4 bows at all times. I like to shoot and set them up for different applications. Plus I just love bows and working on them.

Ultimately, do what makes you happy.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You'll just about have to give the Switchback away. If you like it might as well keep it.

Ihunt

Do you bow hunt a lot?

How much would that spare bow be worth to you if your one and only broke on November 1st?

Waited 6 years to go to Iowa and it broke?

Keep both if it’s an option. At the very least, keep a cheap backup if you’re bow only.