Bowhunting/Bow Question

Kind of a nice dilemma to be in if ya ask me :rockon: I’m curious how long you’ve been shooting the old bow. Is it YOUR bow? Is it the bow you know like the back of your hand? If YOU trust it, go with it!
While we’d like to think all outdoorsman are honest blah blah blah, A bow shopperson may or may not be full of it, pressure to sell you something may or may not play into it. New strings probably won’t be done same day so no time for that. A new bow IS an option, and I think itd be FUN to have a new bow for a trip of a lifetime! There is time for that, but I’d go buy it tomorrow and shoot the heck out of it!
Best of luck!
Yes, definitely first world problems.

The old bow I bought from a buddy of mine a 5 years ago. Shot it a bit back then but then put it on the shelf until a few weeks ago when I decided I was going to go up to Illinois. So there is no sentimental value and it is really the only bow I have ever shot. But I do not know it like the back of my hand.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Yes, definitely first world problems.

The old bow I bought from a buddy of mine a 5 years ago. Shot it a bit back then but then put it on the shelf until a few weeks ago when I decided I was going to go up to Illinois. So there is no sentimental value and it is really the only bow I have ever shot. But I do not know it like the back of my hand.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
Do you plan to do anymore serious bowhunting in the future ? No need in spending a pile of money to hunt once or twice. If you have CONFINDENCE. In the bow you have now keep it. If your mind is thinking you will be better with a newer one you already made your decision.. confidence is key in what you go with… if you had it in your mind that newer now would be better you will always be thinking of that and you won’t do as good ! It’s a mental thing. @HawkinsHollow

HavocLover

Sounds like they’re trying to unload something they can’t unload otherwise. We are in a trend where bows age and aren’t cool within a year or two like vehicles. Give it 2-3 years and you bout can’t give them away. Certainly normally always take a hit financially with them… throw in a diff name brand and the situation is worse! I think the resale market is more friendly to Hoyt and possibly Mathews and in that order. I had sold 2 used Mathews, both were loaded with all accessories and both were “cool” appearance wise. Had a hard time selling them…. After them I had a Prime and an Elite and I guess just not being a more sought after “cool” brand… I bout couldn’t give them away. I think the shop is just trying to get rid of something and found their “in” for their pitch.

If you have confidence in your shooting, just run with it. Def wanna get more familiar with 40 yards. That’s a long ways to go and lots on the line to limit yourself to 30 yards. But I do think the likelihood of a shot within 30 yards is very high.

I think I am going to roll with the old bow. My buddy has a Mathews that is a little bit older that he said he would loan me as a back up bow. This all feels too rushed. This used bow is definitely not the bow I would choose if I had more time. So I think the smart play is use my bow, kill a good deer, get the fever BAD and shop for a bow that suits me better. Thanks for all of your advice! I will report back with a trip report!

I think I am going to roll with the old bow. My buddy has a Mathews that is a little bit older that he said he would loan me as a back up bow. This all feels too rushed. This used bow is definitely not the bow I would choose if I had more time. So I think the smart play is use my bow, kill a good deer, get the fever BAD and shop for a bow that suits me better. Thanks for all of your advice! I will report back with a trip report!
Exactly right ! Don’t rush things.. so it like you said and you will be fine

And I honestly don't think these guys at the shop were trying to pull a fast one on me. I think they were giving me options. They had 3 used bows in my price range 2 @ $500 and 1 @$800. This one was the best of the $500 bows. We do not have tons of Archery pro shops around here and I think it is very important to use them and support them. If not who else is going to restring your bows. Thanks again for all the help!

BamaGeorgialine

Good luck on your hunt with what you decide to hunt with.

Unless your buddy is hunting with a homemade self bow and stone points - he’s embraced a lot of technology in a modern compound bow - don’t understand that logic but to each their own
One you have to practice with, have correct form, and tune. The other you don't.

ddd-shooter

If you’re going to try to shoot 30, do me a favor. Start shooting 40. Or 50. And shoot with practice broad heads as well.

Then a day or two before you leave, get your bow out. Put on your full hunting set up with Jackets and all. Get one arrow with a practice broad head and shoot one cold arrow at 30. No warm up, no prep.
If you can hit where you’re aiming, then you’re good to go. If not, shorten your max distance.

If you’re going to try to shoot 30, do me a favor. Start shooting 40. Or 50. And shoot with practice broad heads as well.

Then a day or two before you leave, get your bow out. Put on your full hunting set up with Jackets and all. Get one arrow with a practice broad head and shoot one cold arrow at 30. No warm up, no prep.
If you can hit where you’re aiming, then you’re good to go. If not, shorten your max distance.
Yes, I have a 40 pin and I was not awful with it the 5 arrows I shot. The plan for this week is more 30 and 40. 20 will be a chip shot if I get comfy there.

This week is going to be colder. I plan on putting the colthing I intend to be wearing and shoot some with it. I don't want to be surprised by the feeling of it.

I am also going to start shooting from an elevated position and seated more.

I love the 30 yard with broad head litmus test, thanks for that tip!

I intend to be as prepared as I possibly can for next weekend. Worst case I can go up the following weekend if this weekend doesn't work out, it is only 6 hrs and 15 mins door to door.

F.A.R.R.

One you have to practice with, have correct form, and tune. The other you don't.
I agree.

The point I was trying to make is there is a huge jump in the practice time and skill involved in shooting any of the bare stick bows well compared to shooting a sighted coumpound bow with a mechanical release. There’s a smaller gap in all that between a compound and crossbow- so unless a guy is hunting with the the most difficult archery tackle to master why would they be hypocritical of someone using the most advanced and proficient legal.

For the OP who has a short window to get ready for the hunt , may get a chance at a buck of a lifetime, is questioning his current set up , and inquiring about getting something new, the recommendation of a crossbow was a good one.

catchdogs

Get on archery talk those guys trade bows every 6 months can get really good deal most of the time. If the string is fine I would hunt with it . If you decide before next year a new bow is what you want you can get a very nice used bow for half the cost . I bought an elite envision for 500 was less than 8 months old

BamaGeorgialine

I agree.

The point I was trying to make is there is a huge jump in the practice time and skill involved in shooting any of the bare stick bows well compared to shooting a sighted coumpound bow with a mechanical release. There’s a smaller gap in all that between a compound and crossbow- so unless a guy is hunting with the the most difficult archery tackle to master why would they be hypocritical of someone using the most advanced and proficient legal.

For the OP who has a short window to get ready for the hunt , may get a chance at a buck of a lifetime, is questioning his current set up , and inquiring about getting something new, the recommendation of a crossbow was a good one.
I agree with your point completely. I bowhunt 90% of the time only because I've killed plenty with a gun and I really don't hunt where there's a chance of a really big deer skirting by at 50 yards. I'd love to try traditional. Those guys that do it consistently are on a different level I think. I didn't mean to come across as one way is better than the other. Almost everyone that I hunt with uses a crossbow and you'd be doing an injustice to the animal to shoot anything that you don't have any real confidence in. I may take my rifle next week because I've been shooting like crap with my bow lately. And I shoot every day. I guess that I'm saving money on targets anyway

F.A.R.R.

I agree with your point completely. I bowhunt 90% of the time only because I've killed plenty with a gun and I really don't hunt where there's a chance of a really big deer skirting by at 50 yards. I'd love to try traditional. Those guys that do it consistently are on a different level I think. I didn't mean to come across as one way is better than the other. Almost everyone that I hunt with uses a crossbow and you'd be doing an injustice to the animal to shoot anything that you don't have any real confidence in. I may take my rifle next week because I've been shooting like crap with my bow lately. And I shoot every day. I guess that I'm saving money on targets anyway
Good luck, I’ve got Thursday and a Friday off this week and with this cold front moving in pretty excited to see what happens.

That’s one of the most awesome things about Deer hunting in GA - from October to January you can take anything that’s legal and makes you happy in the woods to hunt with. Except for a flintlock I’ve had about all of them out there this year !

I agree.

I agree about a crossbow being a good recommendation. The reason I know a crossbow is a no go for my present situation is I asked, and he said nope. Time to man up and use a vertical bow. I agree a modern compound setup has crazy technology involved but it is still A LOT more of a challenge than crossbow. I respect that, and honestly I am glad I a forced to take this route.

My shots are feeling good and I get more confident with every practice session. I didn't even bother to shoot much at 20 today, mostly 30 and 40. Both felt good! 4 more days and then it's go time!

BamaGeorgialine

I agree about a crossbow being a good recommendation. The reason I know a crossbow is a no go for my present situation is I asked, and he said nope. Time to man up and use a vertical bow. I agree a modern compound setup has crazy technology involved but it is still A LOT more of a challenge than crossbow. I respect that, and honestly I am glad I a forced to take this route.

My shots are feeling good and I get more confident with every practice session. I didn't even bother to shoot much at 20 today, mostly 30 and 40. Both felt good! 4 more days and then it's go time!
Good luck. Post a picture of the beast when you kill him

Ajohnson0587

Get a set of GAS strings, and get it re-tuned, as long as the limbs are ok, there’s nothing wrong with hunting with a 13yr old bow. I hunted with an 12yr old Diamond Outlaw up until last December when I upgraded to a new Hoyt VTM 31. I kept the Diamond, had new strings installed and got it re-tuned, it’s shooting better than it did before. It’s my back up now and will be going with me out of state next week.

My advice is to shoot everyday (10-15 arrows) with broad heads and get it dialed in. Get confident in your equipment and good luck in IL, I might be there next week hunting public land.

F.A.R.R.

Good luck, hope you have an enjoyable trip and kill a good one.