CRAPPIE PONTOON

Seriously getting ready to purchase a pontoon. We will be primarily using it for Crappie Fishing. I was interested to see what kind of set ups the good people on here run for "CRAPPIE TOON". Please post & tell...
Thnx...
MoCo

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My dad has one rigged out just for fishing , usually crappie fishing at night when we have the whole family

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Here’s a few pictures of ours , it’s a older boat , stripped out everything except the steering column and seat , put in 4 of these comfortable captain seats , don’t have any good pictures of just the boat but u can get the idea FD87E649-DDCD-43CA-AF67-B02ADBDEBEC2.jpegA88D6C44-7D9A-48C0-B9D2-CF4F0BBD4D46.jpeg630AB422-F51A-4122-82E4-C93667747F3B.jpeg4A2FC2E2-36E6-4D88-A971-78DA48FC5071.jpeg

Lilly001

I just bought a bass tracker bass buggy.
It's a full 8' wide and about 18' long w/o the outboard.
Mine has a 20 hp mercury on it as my closest lake has a hp limit.
You can put up to a 60 hp on it.
I've only had it out 3 times but it's an amazing fishing platform.
Stable, roomy, comfortable and cheap to feed.
I can launch and recover by myself.
All in with Bimini, radio, fish finder, trolling motor and battery and trailer with tax I'm at about 18k.

Nimrod71

I had one back in the mid 80's and really liked it. It was a 20 ft pontoon with center console. It had two fishing chairs on the bow and two on the stern. I had pole holders lined up on each side. What I really liked was it was big enough for a small tent and camp stove set up. I used two LP lights on 25 lb. gas bottles, the bottles were set in milk creates. I had a 50 hp Nissan engine and a foot controled Motorguide trolling motor. There was room for the family and friends to fish or lay out. Make sure you get a good two axel drive on trailer. You will also need water lights as well. Good luck and good fishing.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Catfish off a pontoon all the time.

ALUMINUM FLOOR !!!!!!!!!!

Throw all the furniture away but one couch. Or build a bench / bed. Position it across from the console. Fix couch / bed so storage is underneath. Center your Bimini top with them both. Put in adapter plates for captians chairs. Or use folding chairs that let you move with the shade.
Mount trolling motor permanently upright.
Anchor boxes front and back.
Get a stow away boarding ladder. Mount centered, facing forward

I have a 21 Ft Tracker Fishing Barge that I bought for an all around family boat. It works great for our family with 1yr and 4 yr old boys. I sold my Polarcraft 165fs crappie outfit and rigged our pontoon to do it and if you are planning on trolling out of it can be very difficult in the wind even with an i-pilot. It's about like a sail boat trying to troll out of even with low winds. It makes a great catfish boat or still fishing outfit but when it comes to trying to keep it at 1 mph to troll for crappie it can be a challenge even with drift socks. I ended up buying a stick steer to troll with to avoid fighting the pontoon in the wind. Pontoons are great boats and we enjoy ours for the family just consider the wind factor since it sets so high out of the water especially if you are considering trolling for crappie out of it.

The mtn man

I have a 22ft tracker fishing barge, its great to fish off of as long as the wind isnt blowing, wind can be a nightmare when i find a school of crappie i usually have to anchor off, i pilot spotlock will not hold you.

I just bought a bass tracker bass buggy.
It's a full 8' wide and about 18' long w/o the outboard.
Mine has a 20 hp mercury on it as my closest lake has a hp limit.
You can put up to a 60 hp on it.
I've only had it out 3 times but it's an amazing fishing platform.
Stable, roomy, comfortable and cheap to feed.
I can launch and recover by myself.
All in with Bimini, radio, fish finder, trolling motor and battery and trailer with tax I'm at about 18k.

I was looking at a few of these. Can you post a few pics?

Fletch_W

Banned
Seriously getting ready to purchase a pontoon. We will be primarily using it for Crappie Fishing. I was interested to see what kind of set ups the good people on here run for "CRAPPIE TOON". Please post & tell...
Thnx...
MoCo

I have looked at alot of these and they all have the same things in common... tons of rod holders, upgraded electronics, and super-duty trolling motors.

I would not want to gut the furniture out of one, because I enjoy pleasure boating with family as much as fishing, and it also destroys your resale value.

littlejon

I have looked at alot of these and they all have the same things in common... tons of rod holders, upgraded electronics, and super-duty trolling motors.

I would not want to gut the furniture out of one, because I enjoy pleasure boating with family as much as fishing, and it also destroys your resale value.
Seems to me if you gut it and then put back the furniture prior for resale it would help the value. Buyer would like having new furniture on a used boat

Fletch_W

Banned
Seems to me if you gut it and then put back the furniture prior for resale it would help the value. Buyer would like having new furniture on a used boat

Yeah but then I got a garage full of boat furniture and that ain't gonna fly at my house.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
any breeze at all makes it hard to hold position in a pontoon, but they are the roomiest and most stable platform you can use.

Plus, if the fish ain't biting, or you have a little one, taking a nap on deck is easy

littlejon

Yeah but then I got a garage full of boat furniture and that ain't gonna fly at my house.
You could always use it around the fire pit, LOL. But in all seriousness if he has the storage for it he would then increase the value of the boat at resale.