CRP land to increase public access in Georgia

Others states offer the public hunting opportunities on land enrolled in the federal CRP program. Why don't we get that benefit in Georgia? Are there tracts of CRP land we can hunt?

From the little research I have done. Some states pay a little extra per acre for public access. I don't see it as a landowners rights issue because the program is voluntary. Dont want the public on your land, don't take public money. Simple.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I saw that thread, but it was 10 years old. I was wondering if things had changed as far as public access goes.

Although not really associated with CRP, the voluntary public access (VPA) program is funded through the Farm Bill. It provides funding that GA DNR uses to lease private land for public hunting access. If you look though the list of WMAs, the areas that say VPA instead of WMA were made possible by this.

All the states that have CRP fields open for public hunting access pay those landowners separately for the hunting rights, it's not part of the federal CRP program.

https://georgiawildlife.com/VPA-HIP

I would be in favor of putting Georgia tax money along with the federal if it would be an efficient way to gain public access. I appreciate the response. I also want to thank the DNR for the new Canoochee Sandhills WMA. I do think some of yall are doing your best to manage our state assets. (All the Deer)

godogs57

No. I'm retired from USDA and administered the CRP . Georgia is in a unique situation, as the CRP is primarily a grasslands program nationwide. Down here it's a "tree" program. Like everywhere, its administered on private lands. There are many many public hunting opportunities on privately owned land in the midwest and far west....it generally doesnt happen here. Sure, farmland (including CRP acreage) is leased for hunting down here....but we dont have any open access privately owned land in GA like they do elsewhere.

godogs57

Follow up: Go ride through Kansas and check out the pheasant hunting on private farms there. You just ride around in the countryside until you spot a "walk in program" sign . No need to go knock on the door to ask permission....just load up and walk in. Craziest thing I've ever seen. That would get you hauled off to jail if caught down here.

Even stranger is some Canadian provinces you have to post your land with signs. If you dont, you have zero recourse against anyone who wants to hunt on your land..

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How much will it cost and who will pay for it?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I think it would be a good use for some of the sporting goods excise tax we already pay.
But that money is already being used for something. In order to use it for this something(s) else would have to get cut

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Follow up: Go ride through Kansas and check out the pheasant hunting on private farms there. You just ride around in the countryside until you spot a "walk in program" sign . No need to go knock on the door to ask permission....just load up and walk in. Craziest thing I've ever seen. That would get you hauled off to jail if caught down here.

Even stranger is some Canadian provinces you have to post your land with signs. If you dont, you have zero recourse against anyone who wants to hunt on your land..
If i recall something i seen on tv maine also has that.