Reaping the Rewards

Long Cut

We bought this “Back 40” piece back in 2020 with the goal of recreation, hunting and possibly a homesite one day.

We enrolled the Farm in the State’s DMAP Program, formed a Co-Op with neighbors and planted 2 food plots. Along with this, we began controlling invasive (Privet, Kudzu, China Berry) and killing all Sweet Gums as we possibly could. We conducted controlled burns annually on the property and ran annual trail camera surveys to monitor the areas deer herd density.

Between 2020-2022 we killed 15 does off of the property, as the buck to doe ratio was a little over 1:2. Before then, it wasn’t unusual to see 17-23 does in a field at any given time. Food plots were “lip height” outside exclusion cages and a 500# trough feeder would be emptied out in 6-8 days. For some reason I want to say we averaged 62.5# of feed per day.

The 2023-2024 season I hunted this property a total of 5 times. In those hunts, I saw 4 mature bucks in daylight.

All of the habitat work was done with: chainsaws, backpack blower, zero turns, ATV, 15gal & 4gal sprayers, push & shoulder spreaders and a drip torch.
The GA Forestry Commission cut firebreaks in for us and we've maintained them with a Zero Turn & ATV with a sprayer ever since.

This long-winded post is to hopefully motivate others to maintain their land, establish relationships with their neighbors to better the wildlife and overall hunting.
You DO NOT need significant equipment to make this happen.
You DO NOT need a ton of land to see mature bucks consistently in daylight.

A4371CF2-5E2A-4454-9986-F5CC5CDBD2CE.jpegIMG_4927.jpegIMG_4939.jpegIMG_4879.jpegIMG_6262.jpegIMG_6071.jpegIMG_7538.jpegIMG_7546.jpegIMG_1024.png

Last edited:

Toliver

I've got a biologist coming to my place next week to evaluate game management. She said she's going to try to bring someone from Forrestry. I only have 31 acres but I'd like to do what I can for conservation. Hoping to clear and plant about 5 acres in native grasses that will most benefit wildlife. Also hoping the pair of red foxes are denning somewhere on my place so we can work around making it better for them.

PaDawg

@Toliver is the biologist through the state or private? I'll be interested to hear what they have to say and how much benefit you feel was provided.

Toliver

@Toliver is the biologist through the state or private? I'll be interested to hear what they have to say and how much benefit you feel was provided.
It's a state/federal program but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. We applied for the assistance several months ago. After they review all the applications they start deciding who gets the grants for various programs. As soon as I find the paperwork or remember what it's called I'll let you know.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It's a state/federal program but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. We applied for the assistance several months ago. After they review all the applications they start deciding who gets the grants for various programs. As soon as I find the paperwork or remember what it's called I'll let you know.

DMAP?

Jim Boyd

Wonderful efforts and reward!!!!

ucfireman

I know you said "back 40" but how many acres did you do this on? I have not reached out to the DMAP but would like assistance, I thought the feds only wanted larger parcels and old fields that used to be farmed but not anymore.
Between 2020-2022 we killed 15 does off of the property, as the buck to doe ratio was a little over 2:1
You must have been seeing tons of bucks then, 2 bucks for every 1 doe. Ha!

Good work, I want to burn my place its mostly hardwoods. Everyone says don't burn hardwoods it will kill them but the DNR and Forestry burn WMA and forest land all the time.

Long Cut

I know you said "back 40" but how many acres did you do this on? I have not reached out to the DMAP but would like assistance, I thought the feds only wanted larger parcels and old fields that used to be farmed but not anymore.

You must have been seeing tons of bucks then, 2 bucks for every 1 doe. Ha!

Good work, I want to burn my place its mostly hardwoods. Everyone says don't burn hardwoods it will kill them but the DNR and Forestry burn WMA and forest land all the time.

LOL good catch on the “2:1”

DMAP is State NOT Feds. DMAP = Deer Management Assistance Program. Property is 65 acres.

Burn hardwoods in Winter or early Spring. Clear leaf debris around trees you’re concerned about losing. I haven’t noticed loss utilizing backing fires with leaf litter being the primary fuel source.

IF smaller trees die during the fires, so be it. I’m trying to increase sunlight to forest floor.
The “Savannah” style habitat is the goal and offers the most forage and cover for deer, turkey, quail, rabbits…

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’m pumped you’ve enjoyed your property, and that’s a great deer! That said, on the must have list is:

Good neighbors

With bad neighbors it would take many more hundreds of acres to accomplish what you have. Keep them happy and be thankful.

Kev

Did you apply through the USDA?

Long Cut

I’m pumped you’ve enjoyed your property, and that’s a great deer! That said, on the must have list is:

Good neighbors

With bad neighbors it would take many more hundreds of acres to accomplish what you have. Keep them happy and be thankful.

Agreed. Thankfully we have them adjacent to this Farm.

Quality habitat helps pull & hold mature bucks though. Typically “those neighbors” won’t get very many daylight pictures or action.

earlthegoat2

It is refreshing to see what you have done with only a small investment.

Big acreage and big tractors are nice to have but not really needed to develop land and have successful seasons.

I have believed this from along time ago and as a small acreage land owner, it has been tough but rewarding to put it into practice.

uturn

Congratulations!

How much land is the “Back 40” (40)? And how did you get on those sweet gums? Hack n Squirt..Girdle?

Congratulations again!